NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGLXII Bookings Now Open!

Grant

On 30 July 2016 at 19:44, Astroframer said:

Im thinking about going to the event over the weekend, but im a bit apprehensive as i just haven't had time to use by gear ive purchased, due to work and life,

i dont want to turn and not know what im doing. Are there many newbies at the event and is there a newbie area ?.

Im looking to do astrophotography but my limit it to just observing for the weekend.

Views from others on the subject would be much appreciated.

Mark

My first .. SGL6 I had the kit for 2 weeks before! It's actually the best way to learn - ask & experience.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, NickK said:

My first .. SGL6 I had the kit for 2 weeks before! It's actually the best way to learn - ask & experience.

Hi NickK, thanks for the reply, wow 2 weeks, thats not long at all, makes me feel a bit better about it all now, thinking about it everybody has to start at some point, so i shall make it my first SGL meeting.

Thank you.

I've just booked in for Friday & Saturday nights. I've only been into astronomy a few years and haven't yet joined a club or done a star party before so very glad to be booked in on this one :)

Looking forward to meeting everybody! Here's praying for clear skies at least one of the nights.....

Just booked.  Won't be bringing a motor home this time.  I've just bought a new (second hand) caravan, with awning. So I'm going to have my car available this time rather than being stuck on site all week.  YAY.

The big question on my mind is... do I bring my Trumpet this time. :D

2 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Just booked.  Won't be bringing a motor home this time.  I've just bought a new (second hand) caravan, with awning. So I'm going to have my car available this time rather than being stuck on site all week.  YAY.

The big question on my mind is... do I bring my Trumpet this time. :D

If it is to announce the serving of the Hog Roast then yes :grin:

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Silly question will i be able to have a small second tent on my pitch for putting a bit of astro gear in

Yes. Lots of people keep their Dobs in toilet tents :smile:

4 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Silly question will i be able to have a small second tent on my pitch for putting a bit of astro gear in

I'm planning on Caravan with arwning.  Then Telescope outside, with a scope coat on when not in use, like I did in march.

Most of my kit will end up in the awning.    Lots of people had toilet tents for kit.  The hard standings are quite big, so there's not going to be a problem on that front.   I think there's going to be plenty of space for caravan, awning, car and scope :D

On 23/07/2016 at 20:38, Grant said:

Yes :) there are still plenty of spaces available at the moment.

I've asked Lucksall to send across the pitch allocations so far so hopefully will be able to upload a plan of the booked pitches so far in the next week too.

Any luck with a pitch plan yet Grant ?

Dave

Still waiting on Lucksall to send the details across - Daz spoke with them at the weekend and they are pretty busy at this time of year so hopefully they will get it sent across soon.

As soon as I get it, I will post it up :)

There's still plenty of time for the pitches.  Besides, the layout was given out before, then in the actual week of arrival things where switched around because some of the fields needed time to dry out properly.

I'd not worry about seeing the seating plan (hehe) until the start of october.  That's when people will start getting all excited.

On 8/10/2016 at 13:36, cjdawson said:

...October. That's when people will start getting all excited.

October? I'm already excited, have been for well over a week since I booked it :D

But as long as someone points me in the right direction when I get there, then I'm not fussed about where I'll be or knowing before then.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

@wookie1965 I'm sure people will be able to help out with your mount.  What's the problem with your mount?   I'm sure it can be sorted before october.

I have posted on equipment help, basically I have EQ5 goto mount only had it a couple of months first time took it out did 3 star alignment but After looking at M13 and M57 I went to M81 and it was right over on edge of FOV went to M82 and it wasn't even in FOV. This has happened twice since then for other objects first couple are in then they are on edge or not at all. I have reset hand controller. when I do 2 star alignment I get Caution previous NPE applied. I use an app (syscanit) to set up only thing that is different is polar angle which is usually 2 out and hour angle which is 3 out i have no wy of changing them on handset though. I`m realigning 4/5 times a night which is not very good for viewing.

I see.  found the post in the other thread so will read up and see if there's anything I can help with.  In the meantime. I know for sure that there will be people at SGL12 who will have a similar setup.  So can offer more than general advice.

Sounds to me like they want to assess the pitches before offering them.

Everyone normally sets up their equipment before dark anyway.. so you can see who are imagers and who are visual. 

Most people help with tents which is good as it means more time to setup equipment - it's a good idea to get a loo tent that closes. These are great as they keep the water off and once aligned/setup they keep things neat and tidy.

3 hours ago, uhb1966 said:

whish it weren't about 1.600-1.800 km back and forth :( from over here...

It is only 1,000km from Frankfurt to Hereford by road, or two hours on a flight to Bristol :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

After a great few years working through degrees with Helen I am looking at coming to my first SGL star party with my partner. We will be coming up for the Fri and Sat nights. Does anyone know what time the curry is planned for? Not sure what time we will be arriving just yet.

Thanks

Simon :)

Hi Simon,

Curry will probably be around 5:30 but we will post up a proper itinerary before the weekend.

If people are arriving late, as long as they let me know then I can ask Lucksall to put some curry aside and keep it warm.

Cheers,

Grant

Archived