NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

Back inside after a much needed hour at the eyepiece, albeit with the little 80mm refractor.

Viewed the Alcor-Mizar system, including both Mizar A and Mizar B, which is always a very beautiful system to spend some time enjoying.

I then moved on to Epsilon Lyrae, the double-double, and was amazed to find that I could split both the double stars when using my 5mm eyepiece.

I found M71 a globular cluster in Sagitta, and it was the first time I had viewed this cluster. The sky seemed quite bright tonight, despite there being no moon, and I noticed a bank of cloud starting to move in from the North so thought I better make the most of what viewing time I had left.

Whilst I was making my way across the sky I spent a few minutes enjoying the beautiful blue and gold colours of the double Albireo. Always one I enjoy.

After consulting my charts to see what I could find in the Cygnus / Lyra area, away from the impending clouds, I located M56 a globular cluster in Lyra.

By this time the clouds were across 80% of my viewable sky, so I quickly managed to find and view M29 an open cluster in Cygnus, another first for me which brings my Messiers viewed to 31/110.

The clouds had now blotted out all the sky but the smallest little gaps, so I reluctantly admitted defeat and packed away for the night.

However, it felt good to have an hour at the eyepiece after what seemed like an eternity since my last viewing session :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful sounding session Vicky.

M29 aka the cooling tower is a lovely grouping of about 7 main stars as I can remember.

I'm a bit shocked at your report though as if you had taken in M71 there was no mention of your favourite in that part of the sky hopping oveer the border into Vulpeccula, Brocchis :grin:

Must get out myself, wonder what tonight is looking like.

14 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Wonderful sounding session Vicky.

M29 aka the cooling tower is a lovely grouping of about 7 main stars as I can remember.

I'm a bit shocked at your report though as if you had taken in M71 there was no mention of your favourite in that part of the sky hopping oveer the border into Vulpeccula, Brocchis :grin:

Must get out myself, wonder what tonight is looking like.

It was really good to get out. With regards to my favourite, aka Brocchis Cluster, as I was out with my scope I wasn't sure if it'd all fit in the FOV. The clouds were descending fast, so to be honest I didn't look for it. I tried to find M39 before I packed away, but I think I was looking in the wrong place as I couldn't find it. However, I was rushing as the clouds were moving across the area as I was looking. Does it look like it's going to be clear tonight? Is anyone heading out if so?

Sounded like you had a good run considering the conditions ?

I had the same problems the previous but just before the clouds rolled in I got some lovely planetary views here's my report nothing technical but it describes my session perfectly ☺️

Richard

Saturn & Mars

I didn't really plan on doing planetary observations but they looked so bright I couldn't resist and boy am I glad I did ☺️

First up was my personal favourite Saturn, as soon as I looked through the EP I knew this was the most detail I've seen yet.

I could easily make out the separate rings and even different shades on the planet it really was a treat so I popped my Barlow in and spent a good 20 mins taking in as much detail as I could.

I even shouted the wife out to take a look and she was blown away by what she could see ☺️

Next up Mars and I've got to be honest I've never been a fan of Mars but wow the colour I've never seen it so prominent and I swear I could make out the polar caps or at least slight discolouring.

I also had a few DSOs I wanted to sketch but unfortunately as soon as I was done with my unscheduled planetary observations the clouds rolled in ?

It was with a heavy heart I packed up and went bed but I still felt content with the session even though I didn't view a single object on my list and it was for the simple fact when I looked at Saturn and Mars it was like viewing them for the first time again, they literally took my breath away ☺️

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

Real good reports from both VIcky and Richard. 

I got out my self last night and it looked like it was going to be a clear night all night in Pembrokeshire. 

The Milky Way is spectacular as its really dark sky's. 

I started in Cassiopeia with some new and old targets the double cluster as you would expect new for me was the beautiful owl cluster , M34, M103 and Mirfak which looks stunning with all the surrounding stars. 

I them moved onto Bodes Nebulae two lovely galaxies and in the same field of view,M106,M94 and the whirlpool galaxy stunning as always.

could have done with Damian's 22"  

I then went for Brocchis cluster which fills the 24mm eyepiece using my 70mm frac.

unfortunately the clouds had rolled in from behind me and put payed to what was turning out to be a really good viewing. The atmosphere was still and clear until the cloud came. 

Lovely reports Mark and Richard and good to hear other people have got some time at the eyepiece.

We had a fabulous few days at Kelling Heath on our family camping trip, however we did not have clear skies at night despite having glorious weather through the day. I managed a brief half hour admiring the stunning dark sky and bright band of The Milky Way when I popped to the loo at 1.30am on the last night we were there. I even got Terry out of bed to come and look, and he was blown away by the beauty of the sky and the amount of stars he could see. He has never seen The Milky Way before, and it was a joy to see him witness it first hand. Unfortunately, a bank of cloud quickly moved across and we were tucked back up in our sleeping bags by 2.00am. 

We are heading up to Newton-upon-Rawcliffe for 4 nights on Monday, which is very near to the Dalby forest. I'm hoping for some clear nights to enjoy the dark skies that are on offer in that part of the country. Will be taking my scope and camera and I'm hoping to catch a few early Perseids. We are back home on Friday, so if we have a clear night on Friday for the peak of the Perseids I'll be able to come along for a night under the stars if anyone else is heading out :)

28 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

I will not be home until the Saturday so will miss the meet hope you all have a good night. I'm hoping for clear sky's in Shropshire 

All great to hear that even though the British weather has been appalling recently were all still managing to get some EP time ☺️

I get back on Friday so I'm not sure if I will be in any state to meet up or what time it will be but never say never ☺️

Richard

Well, to say we have quite a lot of cloud cover over Horbury, that was a beautiful ISS pass. I enjoy it every time and never get tired of it. Can't believe that one of my neighbours hasn't even heard of the ISS and she couldn't believe there were astronaughts up there travelling at 17,150 mph :)

23 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Lovely reports Mark and Richard and good to hear other people have got some time at the eyepiece.

We had a fabulous few days at Kelling Heath on our family camping trip, however we did not have clear skies at night despite having glorious weather through the day. I managed a brief half hour admiring the stunning dark sky and bright band of The Milky Way when I popped to the loo at 1.30am on the last night we were there. I even got Terry out of bed to come and look, and he was blown away by the beauty of the sky and the amount of stars he could see. He has never seen The Milky Way before, and it was a joy to see him witness it first hand. Unfortunately, a bank of cloud quickly moved across and we were tucked back up in our sleeping bags by 2.00am. 

We are heading up to Newton-upon-Rawcliffe for 4 nights on Monday, which is very near to the Dalby forest. I'm hoping for some clear nights to enjoy the dark skies that are on offer in that part of the country. Will be taking my scope and camera and I'm hoping to catch a few early Perseids. We are back home on Friday, so if we have a clear night on Friday for the peak of the Perseids I'll be able to come along for a night under the stars if anyone else is heading out :)

Anyone heading out anywhere count me in !!!

12 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Well, to say we have quite a lot of cloud cover over Horbury, that was a beautiful ISS pass. I enjoy it every time and never get tired of it. Can't believe that one of my neighbours hasn't even heard of the ISS and she couldn't believe there were astronaughts up there travelling at 17,150 mph :)

I get this a lot with friends family and work colleagues ?

They ask me how my time off was and I say "yeah spending time with the family was brilliant along with a great session under the stars" usually a question follows along the lines of "oh right what did you see" haha well that's it for me I give them all the facts about the DSOs I've observed and a blow by blow account of how the session went ☺️

By the end more often then not there stunned and simply say "thats incredible, I can't believe you can see all that"

Before this I wouldn't say i was oblivious of such things but it's amazing what you can observe, I still get blown away with Saturn and her majestic rings, just beautiful ☺️

7 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Anyone heading out anywhere count me in !!!

me too. Early indications are favorable.

when people head out to watch a meteor shower, do you normally take telescope as well, or do you just lie back and enjoy the show with the naked eye?

23 hours ago, mapstar said:

I may get out tonight just on the patio but have to be up for work at 5am tomorrow so it will only be a short session.

All weather forecasts so far show Monday clear from around 9pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets see ha ha 

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

when people head out to watch a meteor shower, do you normally take telescope as well, or do you just lie back and enjoy the show with the naked eye?

I thought the peak was on Friday night after midnight, but is actually on Thursday night after midnight. I am still away on holiday then as we come back Friday afternoon. However, depending on what other people are doing (and what the skies are like), I would be happy to meet up Friday night.

I take my DSLR camera and tripod when I go viewing meteor showers, and just keep clicking my shutter release and have it set at 30 second exposures. I took a little frac last time but didn't really use it as I was busy looking up and enjoying the night. If it's a clear night it is nice to take the scope but you do risk missing meteors whilst your eye is at the eyepiece. Personally, if I meet with anyone this year, I'll probably just bring my DSLR, tripod and maybe my binos :)

I took my telescope out last year (not that I'd had it very long) and didn't use it because it was too windy - just lay back on a bench and watched. It wasn't great last year (maybe I didn't stay out late enough) but I saw a few.

Be good to meet up if the weather stays clear, but it'll have to be Friday night. Having said that, I may be able to do Thursday as I've booked the day off on Friday for some, now cancelled, plans.

44 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I took my telescope out last year (not that I'd had it very long) and didn't use it because it was too windy - just lay back on a bench and watched. It wasn't great last year (maybe I didn't stay out late enough) but I saw a few.

Be good to meet up if the weather stays clear, but it'll have to be Friday night. Having said that, I may be able to do Thursday as I've booked the day off on Friday for some, now cancelled, plans.

Saw 4 last year thats all lol

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

I'll be trying my best to make it weather permitting.

Not sure if I'm taking the scope would like a session with it and I have wednesday off so will be out if its good tuesday night. 

Monday still looking all clear everywhere from 9pm so far

5 hours ago, rockystar said:

Sleeping bags with either camp chairs or a roll mat. Doesn't get much better and its nice not to have worry about kit and the like. Can just lay back and enjoy the show :icon_biggrin:

Archived