NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed a couple of hours last night. Spent some time on Saturn as the seeing was steady and seeing was quite good. Managed to see Titan M13, Andromeda, the coat hanger, wild duck, Mars and of course the DLB. The milkyway was visible but when the moon came up it washed most of it out 

Will be out in Overton tomorrow night if the forcast holds. Am dog sitting so can't travel out but its not too bad from the backyard if i can avoid the neighbours horrific security light..... :happy7:

yes, it looks like its going to suck tonight.

oh well, off on my jolly hols tomorrow to nene valley - so will take the go to mount and hope for some clear weather to try my hand with my new canon widefield stuff.

I managed a couple of hours last night in the back garden. It was a bit patchy but got a few targets, think m56 & m71 were new ones for me, and a couple of usual suspects & a couple of binaries that TLAO pointed out as "in the area". I had to keep zipping around the sky to avoid the clouds.

I hope some of you have managed to get out as it's looking quite good. A little bit of a breeze about but sheltered should provide fine views.

I'm up for work tomorrow at 5am so its a miss unfortunately. Was looking forward to catching the veil neb and other gems around cygnus. That long since I've been out it will be like learning the skies all over again :icon_confused:

The sky doesn't look too bad out there tonight. We had total cloud cover this afternoon, so is good to see that it's cleared. Won't be going out though. Bed for me very soon. Up at 6am to finish loading the car, then off to Kelling Heath we go until Thursday. First time we will have been camping as a family. Really looking forward to it, but not looking forward to pitching that tent for the first time. Little frac, camera and Star Adventurer are packed so I'm hoping for some clear skies whilst we are there. Hope some of you get out this evening for an astro fix :)

Managed a few hours out at the RSPB outreach event, had lots of "Wows" as people viewed Saturn, then a really good ISS pass at 23:11 before they all headed off to their tents.

Looking good for tomorrow morning's solar session too :)

Well just in from a good night and my first proper night out with my new scope! Seeing was ok but a bit wobbly at times. Started with a bang as I managed to track a particularly bright ISS pass in the scope no less, I didn't think it would be possible  given the speed it moves at but was surprisingly easy with the dobbo mount! Started with the coat hanger then picked up the ring nebula for the second time (views through Damian's scope don't count!!) Before moving onto the dumbbell nebula, followed by M71.

I then did some random scanning and found something which looked like a smaller ring nebula, couldn't work out for the life of me what it was. It was located above the square of pegasus in an emptyish (to the naked eye) patch of sky. However having now consulted stelaraium I believe it was the blue snowball but I will try to confirm this next time I'm out. 

Final target was Andromeda. Wow!! Not seen it before but man is that thing big!! Had to stare for a while. Even though it was east for me and over the light polluted skies of Wakefield it looked pretty epic. 

Anyway enough for tonight, have a raging headache so hopefully some Shuteye will sort that out.

6 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Managed a few hours out at the RSPB outreach event, had lots of "Wows" as people viewed Saturn, then a really good ISS pass at 23:11 before they all headed off to their tents.

Pleased you had a successful night Matt, and the clouds cleared up lovely for you. Love watching peoples reactions the first time they see Saturn. Sorry I couldn't make it. Really needed the early night. Busy getting the last bits in the car and hopefully we'll be on our way in the next hour.

Nice report Rich, and so pleased you got out. Funnily enough, I had never heard of the blue snowball until a couple of weeks ago and since then is been mentioned three times! It's on my target list for next time I've got the "proper" scope out. Hopefully, now the skies are gradually getting darker, we can enjoy some more viewing sessions again. Think we all desperately need some scope time.

It's The Perseids next Friday 12th August, so let's hope for clear skies for then.

Right, better get cracking - catch you all later :)

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Funnily enough, I had never heard of the blue snowball until a couple of weeks ago and since then is been mentioned three times!

Sounds like you've had a bout of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon: http://wikibin.org/articles/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.html

Let's hope for some good skies in August, because June and July have frankly been rubbish!

21 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Apologies Matt I forgot all about this but it would've been a bit of a push as I was up at 5am for work.

Had a great few hours this morning back at the RSPB for the solar observing session with a nice blue sky. Piggybacked the PST on the top of the ED80+Hershel Wedge - so offered two different views of the Sun - and again had lots of "Wow" moments. According to early indications the two astronomy sessions featured very positively on the feedback/evaluation forms that people filled in.

blue snowball is a fantastic find and one of my favourite PNs - good accidental find Rich!

Well the camera is all set up on my mount wiating for clear skies, but so far its been a bit rubbish since we got here on saturday down at ferry meadows. not looking good for the next 2 days either. But i live in hope.

9 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

blue snowball is a fantastic find and one of my favourite PNs - good accidental find Rich!

Well the camera is all set up on my mount wiating for clear skies, but so far its been a bit rubbish since we got here on saturday down at ferry meadows. not looking good for the next 2 days either. But i live in hope.

Agreed its as good as the Eskimo pn. Great find and once you know where it is you'll go back time and again for a look.

On 01/08/2016 at 10:24, mapstar said:

Agreed its as good as the Eskimo pn. Great find and once you know where it is you'll go back time and again for a look.

except that one doesnt exist

:happy7:

whilst your are in the area of Andromeda / Pegasus - have a look for the little dumbell neb. Quite difficult to find, but very rewarding view even at high mags.

Archived