Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can someone confirm if the stars are still there?

*Cut to every night over the last 3 months*

"What's the skies like tonight?"

*Looks up to see yet more cloud cover*

**Sigh**

What's a good thing to be doing to further my Stargazing experiance on all these overcast nights?

yer there still there, i had cracking seeing lastnight, galaxy hopped around leo and virgo, keep looking up you will get a clear sky soon, do a bit of solar through the day thats 2 chances you get to skywatch every 24 hours. hope you get some clear skys soon   charl.

May is supposed to be the time of the year for Mars opposition and best views of Saturn. And not to forget the Mercury passage. I just hope we will ever get clear skies again, but I fear the worst. After yesterday's snowfall, I see some small patches of blue between the heavy grey clouds.

Next weekend is a new moon weekend and I really hope to be able to observe something. I have my new portable travel mount, so even if we would go on a canoe trip, I will bring my scope along. We let the weather decide whether to go canoeing or just staying at our cabin.

On nights that i dont do any observing (that's every night for about a year now), i watch tv,read,play XBOX, do jigsaw puzzles and recently i have taken up microscopy. 

Jupiter has been tormenting me for the last 3 nights. He has been right outside the back door calling my name. If its a nice sunny day, i try to get out and do some solar observing but there hasnt been much to see lately on the Sun.

Reported separately on last night's session - the very best for some time. Keep faith! And think "grab and go"...  :happy11:

What's a good thing to be doing? If you are (relatively) new to this like me: STUDY! I've been reading up and using Stellarium to practice with. Memorizing the constellations. Memorizing what there is to be seen in any given patch of clear sky, so that I can - hopefully - quickly slew around to dodge the clouds as they slowly drift by and bag a nice cluster, a Garnet Star, or whatever is on offer at that precious moment. We have to take what we can get, and we can only do that if we know what's where...

Takes dedication, though. I've eased into it by reading fun books on the subject. Plus, until you've read every single worthwhile post on SGL, you've no excuse to waste a cloudy night. :happy9:

Since my scope arrived it's been cloudy every night. It cleared up last night, but i'd already polished off a bottle of red by then, so wasn't really in any fit state to do much. Suppose to have a few hours reasonable viewing tonight, so here's hoping!

Last bits of essential gear arrive tuesday, which is just in time, as wednesday promises to be clear all night. :D

howdo,

Move to Norfolk.

Had 4 clear nights in the last 7. me bins nearly melted.

The other 3 nights a fine malt whiskey & alternating between monty python & astronomy related web sites. :D

Of course that will all change & the clouds will thicken as soon as I order me first telescope. :clouds1:

chin up

9 minutes ago, kegstar said:

howdo,

Move to Norfolk.

Had 4 clear nights in the last 7. me bins nearly melted.

The other 3 nights a fine malt whiskey & alternating between monty python & astronomy related web sites. :D

Of course that will all change & the clouds will thicken as soon as I order me first telescope. :clouds1:

chin up

Seems like a mixture of Monty Python & astronomy is vaguely familiar-sounding to me for some strange reason.....

Dave? :eek:

So I should be gaming, drinking with the effort of looking like I'm trying to further my knowledge. As for reading all the forums. That's getting expensive I see new ideas for EP's or barlows to better my images. 

When the sky is not good, I read / study maths and literature books, spend time on SGL, and very few times I go out. Sometimes I add some code to my software AstroJournal. I generally don't spend time thinking about extra astronomical gear I 'need'. Eventually the best things we need are dark skies, time to observe and patience. :)

Having extra interests is a good thing I think, particularly when the weather is bad!

Just got three hours in, best viewing for months. Quite breezy, almost gusty, but best I've ever seen Jupiter. Hercules cluster was brilliant, as well as M83 ( at least I think that's what it was). Gave up when the wind got too much.

When I can't go out I work on my Arduino based focuser. Not sure what I'll do when it's finished...

Eric.

Archived