SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double Solar transit of ISS

calli

Hi,

due to the exact prediction from calsky.com I was able to get a double solar transit of the ISS. I found a nice place for observing the two transits at maybe 200m from the calculated crossing of the central pathes. Technic was working flawlessly and so I could take two videos.

Here is a video just the raw images: https://youtu.be/PFsZTPoM-ro

The combined image is not aligned so far, so the "pilot" of the ISS seems a bit drunk. Ok it was the seeing and wind gusts. I will do a better aligned version when I got some time.

Cheers,
Carsten

PS: Translation of the image caption:

Place: South of Berlin, west of Rangsdorfer lake
Time: 21 April 2016, first transit 14:27:31 distance to ISS 548km, second 17:39:13 distance to ISS 922km

20160421_ISSDoppeltransit.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took my chance, and it worked. I can just say try it. This is really fun and also a bit challenging and exiting. JUst looked at APOD and found another double transit, better image quality but not that central and not crossing :-) Yea!

Carsten

PS: On mobile (Android) the image is very dark. I really wonder why this is. Did nothing special I think.., Maybe somehow the gammy did go wonky.

Reprocessed in FITSwork and then GIMP. Tried to get more of the solar structure out of the image, so I processed the first transit in Median mode, eliminating the ISS. Then I processed both transits in Min mode and layered them in GIMP. Did not get the color (which is of course more "artistic expression" than real color) quite right, so I also made a gray version.

What do you think?

Best,
Carsten

ISS_Double_Transit_20160421_FITS_GIMP.jpg

ISS_Double_Transit_20160421_FITS_GIMP_bw.jpg

Marvellous.  Makes my first attempt seem pretty puny!  I have no idea how I should process my video capture.  Any tips?

I got the same alert for the double transit yesterday but it was 50 miles from my location here in Ripon.

1 hour ago, calli said:

You can just put the images in layers and then use the "Darken only" layer mode.

Carsten

Carsten. you star!  It worked a treat.  I am not posting the image because it is poor in comparison to yours.  However, I can't wait for the next opportunity.  Thanks again.

@bunnygod1I am not sure how they choose an APOD but because your are not the first saying so I submitted it together with the info how it was made. Not that I really think it will be choosen but... But when. Getting famous. Getting rich. Getting GEAR. Getting food. Beeing poor again... Well ;-)

Carsten

13 hours ago, calli said:

@bunnygod1I am not sure how they choose an APOD but because your are not the first saying so I submitted it together with the info how it was made. Not that I really think it will be choosen but... But when. Getting famous. Getting rich. Getting GEAR. Getting food. Beeing poor again... Well ;-)

Carsten

It is a excellent image and it would be great to see it on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record and in preparation of the Merkur transit:

ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) is a commandline image processing suite. It may be faster to do it in GIMP et.al. for some few images but for repetive tasks or a huge number of images this can help.

# Sequence darken only combination
convert  *.tif -resize 1200x  -evaluate-sequence min   -sharpen 0x3  result.png

#same but colorize it:
convert  *.tif -resize 1200x  -evaluate-sequence min   -sharpen 0x3  -colorspace gray -fill "rgb(200,160,0)" -t
int 100  result_color.png

#GIF animation
convert -delay 10  -resize 800 *.tif -loop 0 result.gif

Be prepared!

Carsten

• 8 months later...

Archived