Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Here Again

terryc

Hi All,

I'll start again......

Joined a couple of years ago, got my books/apps/binoculars/charts, just getting ''into it''.......then my wife says ''she fancies moving''.........Took retirement/bought a place up in North Norfolk, then we had to renovate it just about finished all but a bit of painting.

Its now time to start again.....have been reading up on the 'lounge' etc. Now its time to buy something, quick, before she wants to move again (without me!!).

Just to get my juices going for now, fancy something like SW Heritage 90 virtuoso, then I start looking at scopes like SW 102/127 Skymax  with a go/to, my wife wants to have a go as well.

I use a scope for birding, so the Mak's are my way to go?? Then I start looking at the SW Explorer's 130p etc.....

I will be only doing visual stuff, Planets, Maybe a little more, no photography.....yet! Not too sure if the market has changed much in two years? I realise I will have to get a couple, at least, Lens as well.

Would love a bit of advice

Appreciate your help/time/advice

Terry

Hi

The maks can give a correct image daytime view and with the eyepiece better placed for it plus no to very little CA. I wouldn't do the 130 explorer not ideal for daytime use at all and the mount not ideal for sharing.

Do you like finding things yourself?

I have a virtuoso mount it is very portable and can be upgraded to using goto though the mount does track as standard and can have other telescopes fitted as it uses a standard skywatcher mount (4 kilo payload max) It does need a table or something to sit on it is about 15 inches high. I use mine sat on a chair as I use my camera on it.

Thanks for the welcomes, fellas.

Happy-kat....Thanks for info on 130...

I would like a bit of a challenge but my wife wants to have a go as well and she hasn't got the 'time' to hunt around, she wants to see 'whatever' there and then, hence having the goto.

Just saw the 90 virtuoso on YouTube and got good feedback. Then another YouTube suggested 102 being a really good scope for beginners!!

Will keep studying the ins and outs of equipment before I decide. Very Very cloudy over head this evening.....rain and rain all day.

Thanks for your time Happy.

Terry

The small mak will show the Moon and planets but sounds like your wife might be very underwhelmed with DSO. Perhaps think about how you would use the telescope, what day time duties versus night use, portability, storage, observing location etc. Going bigger and just thinking of night use the skywatcher star discovery 150p has the aperature, has tracking and has goto and can be used with no power fully manually (which most with goto cannot) and has freedom find and I don't think was available when you last looked and can support a start into imaging (a member is taking images with theirs). 

Edit, the Virtuoso has all of that capability potential but in smaller package and smaller aperature though the mount can take upto 4 kilos so the 127mm mak I've seen a member fit to theirs).

Hi Terry and welcome back to the forum. Advice and help is just a question of popping your inquiry into the relevant section to which it is appropriate and you should get all the assistance you need, enjoy the forum :)

Welcome back Terry, you've moved to a lovely dark part of the country so thats a great advantage to anything you use !

If you have an idea of what you're looking for your money will go further here http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php most astro gear is well looked after and loved , just be careful I guess.

Maybe keep an eye open for a used https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html great on planets and has goto / tracking.

Good luck and keep us posted !

Archived