SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stupid hobby! - How do you suffer?

Stub Mandrel

What kind of hobby is this that has me sitting up at 1:39 waiting for a camera in the garden and looking forward to a night on he couch?

At least I have a small flask of Bell's. Would prefer Laphroaig, Glenlivet or Glenmorangie.

How do YOU suffer for astronomy?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That (lack of camera) MUST be it...I do my actual observing not on the couch/sofa, but outside with vital bits freezing off. It must numb me to all the suffering that should be going on.

Anyway, it's great!

40 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Bell's. Would prefer Laphroaig, Glenlivet or Glenmorangie.

How do YOU suffer for astronomy?

You mean something like this ( includes current newspaper-clip to prove ransom demand is current :) ! )

muuwahha, after all the 4casts predicted clear skies I was all set up - - till it hazed over, and that was not the laphroaig that caused that honest gov  !

EDIT PS Note that I have put the bottle back in the tube soz you cant tell how empty it is :hiding:

60145Laphroaig.jpg

15 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

You mean something like this ( includes current newspaper-clip to prove ransom demand is current :) ! )

muuwahha, after all the 4casts predicted clear skies I was all set up - - till it hazed over, and that was not the laphroaig that caused that honest gov  !

EDIT PS Note that I have put the bottle back in the tube soz you cant tell how empty it is :hiding:

60145Laphroaig.jpg

SURELY you don't put your bottle in the...oh, THAT tube, sorry

It is crazy when you think about it...sitting on the couch waiting for a camera... and curling up into bed at 3am trying not to wake the wife who is up for work in 2 hours, knowing I will be up in 4 hours with the kids who never sleep in during the holidays, but need dragging out on a school day! Been in for about half an hour and my hands are just starting to warm up... no single malt for me, although the rum was very tempting....I've been eyeing up new scopes this week....maybe I'll get a hip flask first....

....it is a form of punishment I am sure - but the rewards are worth it... well, unless the last 3 hours of imaging turns out to be a load of duff subs... then I might be opening the rum....

:icon_biggrin:

G'night!

Getting out of bed at 4 in the morning to look for a comet. Going back to bed at 5 and not being able to get warm again, 2 hours of shivering before the alarm clock went to get up for work. So it's not done to drink before going to bed. After en evening session though I usually take a cup of tea that is not real tea.

In the winter we use an electric blanket on the bed, mostly to warm up under the sheets half an hour before bedtime. That's also brilliant for getting warm after an observing session in the cold. But now it's springtime and I have removed the electric blanket and put a thinner down on the bed. I really regret doing this too early.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What kind of hobby is this that has me sitting up at 1:39 waiting for a camera in the garden and looking forward to a night on he couch?

You sit indoors on a couch??

Luxury!

1 hour ago, Linda said:

But now it's springtime and I have removed the electric blanket and put a thinner down on the bed.

Gosh! Did someone move Norway ? I'm still using my 'lectric in SW UK,, or you're a hardier breed than me :)

20 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Gosh! Did someone move Norway ? I'm still using my 'lectric in SW UK,, or you're a hardier breed than me :)

Nah, at times it is very sunny at day time. Then we in Norway think it is springtime. Teenage girls will start wearing short tops, people will start drinking beer outside on a terrace and the birds are collecting nesting materials. But the weather is deceiving. It is still freezing at night. Although this winter has been the shortest and warmest since I moved here (1998), I think.

13 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

13 hours ago, Linda said:

Although this winter has been the shortest and warmest since I moved here (1998), I think.

Ah ! I made the mistake of thinking that as your english is so much better than mine that you must be Norwegian ,,  :)

as you say "the warmest" , without getting into politicals on global warming, we have not used our central heatng since about 25y, not even in the depths of winter ! just a couple of open fires and 'lectric blankets in the unheated bedrooms ( think we need to go to the lounge-lounge for this ? )

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 01:40, Stub Mandrel said:

....... How do YOU suffer for astronomy?

I don't.  Guess it has to do with my perspective on life, where " the glass is always half full " ; though not necessarily with spirits. :wink: 

The trouble with 'easy' is that it's easy - and so not very interesting. Everything I've ever enjoyed doing has been either difficult or an indulgence enjoyed as a reward for having done something difficult.

Olly

Nail and head, Olly.

That's exactly the reason I keep at it. I have had more nights where everyone has gone to pot and I have either not managed to even get imaging, or find my images won't stack/process into anything worth looking at. When this happens, I am all but ready to give up and sell-up... but then you get that one night where you look at Jupiter, or an image comes out better than expected and you remember why you do it. Easy is definitely boring...

Archived