SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stupid hobby! - How do you suffer?

Stub Mandrel

Absolutely!!  Last night was typical.  Lovely sunny afternoon and early evening but the clouds came in just before dark :(  I really wonder if this hobby is worth bothering with...  Fortunately it's far from my only activity :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes i started the scope up after weeks of rain and the usb filter wheel died and i couldn't find a guide star for the target i wanted.

Still had fun though and got to buy a new filter wheel...

It does sometimes feel i'm banging my head against a wall whilst flagellating myself.

Ha ha - yeah - but then you get a magical night or a great view of something that most people will never see with their own eyes in the whole of their lives, and it makes it all worth the effort ;)

Banging head is pretty much it ATM. Ultranova and I are banging our heads against recalcitrant refractors. How the hell can it be that TS don't know the spacings for their own scopes :BangHead:.

Beyond that, these long breaks in imaging mean that skills get rusty, with important things being forgotten. They also mean that taking time to experiment or learn is not really an option. Fine for those like Olly or Sara under dark clear skies, but for the rest of us? I think not (As Descartes said just before he vanished).

Went out to image Mars the other night. The scope is in hibernation mode,  already to use. Plugged the lot in, & selected Mars. Nothing in

the finder scope or laptop. :cussing:  Spent the next 30 mins,  trying to get  it all lined again.  @ 3 o clock  in the :angryfire: morning , one was not amused .

Then we had these :clouds1: roll in.  @ least I got a couple of downloads.  :hello2: . Got  this for my troubles. :happy9:  Then back to my pit.  Y do I bother .

MARS 2.png

It's clear tonight though slightly hazy but what use is one night in weeks?  I would probably spend all night trying to get things to work - I've had that before.  Part of the problem is remembering how to do things and how to set things up.  By the time the next clear night comes round most of it is forgotten :(  Seems to me too much effort unless there's a reasonable chance of several clear nights in a row.  I did try a little while back but only got to the stage where I felt like throwing the laptop into the next field!!

> They also mean that taking time to experiment or learn is not really an option.

That's my problem :-(

I have to head to Doncaster early tomorrow, I was planning an evening outing, but it looks like only after midnight will be OK now. Drok!

It's looking clear tonight (Fingers crossed). Fortunately all (!) I have to do is get the squaring on of my camera right, and then look at the spacing. With the Moon where it is I think imaging isn't really an option.

13 hours ago, Gina said:

It's clear tonight though slightly hazy but what use is one night in weeks?  I would probably spend all night trying to get things to work - I've had that before.  Part of the problem is remembering how to do things and how to set things up.  By the time the next clear night comes round most of it is forgotten :(  Seems to me too much effort unless there's a reasonable chance of several clear nights in a row.  I did try a little while back but only got to the stage where I felt like throwing the laptop into the next field!!

Hi Gina. I get a lot of this. I call it old git syndrome. Could not work out how to get the scope into daylight savings the other night.

The GPS on the scope was 1 hour out. Reading instructions @ 3 in the morning is not my thing. It sort of worked.  Monday night

looks good here on the South Coast , so I might have another go @ Mars.:thumbsup:.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 06:35, Gina said:

Absolutely!!  Last night was typical.  Lovely sunny afternoon and early evening but the clouds came in just before dark :(  I really wonder if this hobby is worth bothering with...  Fortunately it's far from my only activity :D

JoAnn and I drove 3 hours, out and back, to our dark sky site last week,  after 20 minutes of viewing the clouds rolled in, done for the night ! 

I'm suffering with a sore ear. Stunning night out here last night. Told the present Mrs Foster I would be up early for a busy day and overslept like a fool. It's well deserved but I do think sometimes I should get a daytime hobby for the sake of her sanity. 

On 5/14/2016 at 11:35, Gina said:

Fortunately it's far from my only activity :D

And definitely so, Gina! (Though I sense a lot of MINE are Astro-related). ;)

As some may see, I have succumbed to Solar Astronomy recently. A bit of
a "curse" (Don't tell 'em, Pike!). No energy left for all-night sessions now! :p

But Hey, this has to be better than my "nemesis neighbour" - As we speak
cutting his grass (twice weekly) "Extreme-Valeting" his car (thrice weekly)?
But each to his/her own... Whatever, I'm a Pro-Hobby Activist, anyway! :)

Archived