NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fantastic evening

Ant

Not entierly certain where to post this, it's about imaging but there are no pictures yet!

I had a really good night last night.

Set up at around 10:30, could see the bright stars either side of M57 by that point.

So centered one of those stars in the Toucam, and then set about centering M57 – which took a lot longer than I hoped - quite fiddly and I need to sort out an alternative metod of protecting the tube from the bolts - my current method is too thick and reduces the amount of adjustment that I have).

I started imaging at around 11:30, started with 30 x 2 minutes subs, with 11 seconds between the frames for saving to the CF card and for the chip to cool a little. Then I set it going for 30 x 3 minute subs and went to bed :grin: .

But before I went to bed I just looked at some of the constellations that I haven't seen for so long. Cygnus, lyra, Delphinius, Scorpio - the list goes on and on. Then of course I notice that Jupiter has risen. I really need a second scope - maybe a large dob. :D

I put a blanket over the laptop and hoped that it wouldn’t rain (well you can never tell).

Set the alarm for 2:15, to pack everything away. At 2:15 went down stairs and outside to find the guide star still in it’s position perfectly. I checked the subs and they were perfect (if there is any flexure between the two scopes there isn’t much). As I started pack away I started taking Darks (I managed two :lol: ) – so that’s a job for tonight. Can’t remember how to take flats…

I went out just in time, there was a large bank of cloud coming in from the west that would have meant that the guide star would have been lost.

So I have 2hr 30 minutes of good data, I am really looking forward to processing it and seeing what happens.

I really enjoyed myself.

Ant

They looked damn good on the camera, even zoomed in all the way.

I am quietly confident that I will have my personal best ever M57, not hard really as the last attempt was with my webcam :grin:

Ant

I did check three weather web sites. The cloud was due to arrive at around 3am, and no chance of rain - so I thought I'd take the risk.

The camera is outside right now taking darks... then I going to try and work out bias frame.

It'll be tomorrow evening before I get to process it.

Ant

Well here is the image.

Imaged using a Canon 300D and ED80, Guided using PHD, 6" F5 and a SPC900.

30 x 2 minutes, 30 x 30 minutes. Darks subtracted and stacked in DSS. Final tweaks in PSCS2. Cropped slightly.

I'm not as happy with this as I thought I would be, but I guess for the 300D / ED80 combo, M57 wasn't the best choice of target (a tad small).

6647_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ant

nice job Ant its all running 100% , ok yes a bit small but really a test run for the big Nebs now mate , ngc 7000 will be a really good test for you Ant , think you will have to up the exposure to 5 or 10 mins each though , but should turn out a darn good image mate .

Rog .

although the moon wont help at the moment

:grin:

That's a fine widefield result Ant. I don't understand if you say you are disappointed mate.

The Ring Neb is a very small DSO, and the imaging system as it was configured was always going to give this view. But is is excellent, and had you been targeting the North American Nebula, it would have been huge, and excellent too, because the tracking was good also.

A bigger target next maybe.? Don't know if the experienced imagers would agree or not.

Ron. :grin:

Ant

If you haven't got anything for the bolt ends, I think I have some nylon dome caps that you can have - if I can find 'em of course!!!

That tracking is spot on, as is the focus! Good job bud!!!

Nice image Ant.

The other night I took nearly exactly the same shot, framed and positioned the same! But as I was on a whistle stop tour I only spent afew mins on each target.

I personally LIKE the widefield shots. I like the fact that you can point up to the two visible stars, and say "hey, there's this beautiful blue and red gas cloud in between those stars, wanna see it?" Its also nice to have a close up then of course.

If I ever get the time, I'm gonna do a series of Messier object guides, each with three pictures, one of the constellation, one to show its position relative to a bright star, (as yours here), and one for a close up. When I say "close up", you know what I mean :grin:

Cant wait to see what you can do on some of these lovely HUUUUUGE nebulae that are popping up now.

Cheers

TJ

Ant

If you haven't got anything for the bolt ends, I think I have some nylon dome caps that you can have - if I can find 'em of course!!!

Yeah Cheers Daz, that would be good. I have found some Rubber caps that would work, but at a quid each and a MOQ, that's a little rich for me. It would be cheaper for me to buy larger rings and start again. My current method is fine, except the amount of adjustment is limited.

TJ. Yes mate, looking forward to some of the Autumn objects. I'm limited at present to a brightish guide star within 1.5 degree's (or thereabouts of the target). Guide star needs to be around mag 4 or higher.

Ant

Archived