NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 7/3 compare QHY5L-IIc vs SPC900

yelsac

Just experimenting with Jupiter, comparing the two cameras above. Both pics taken through Mak 127 with 2.5x barlow

1st one is SPC900

1.jpg.08dfdb526831deb72e55fd3368946300.j

2nd is with QHY5L-IIc

2.jpg.6b37703f033b3011468f5032f4a5ca61.j

I didn't really process them much but I'm amazed how much more detail is in the webcam pic although I'm pretty sure I'm using completely the wrong settings for the QHY5. Ah well still learning

Interesting to see the difference in size with the same setup & both done in 640x480

thanks for looking

The spc webcam is no slouch especially on Jupiter. The f25 focal ratio suits the webcam better because of its larger pixels. f15-20 is better for the qhy cam unless seeing is excellent.

The best settings i found with the qhy cam are about 50% gain, leave gamma at default but make sure the shutter speed is fast enough. 10ms is 1/100 sec giving 100fps and 20ms is 1/50 sec giving 50fps. I think the shutter speed has been your issue with the qhy cam yelsac.

There are some excellent tutorials on youtube explaining capturing in raw mode and debayering avis.

Yep the QHY would be my choice of the two cams, as good as the spc900s were, there far to slow & noisy in comparison with the newer cams on the market!

As Stuart says not really a fair comparative as both cams have a totally different interface!

11 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

The spc webcam is no slouch especially on Jupiter. The f25 focal ratio suits the webcam better because of its larger pixels. f15-20 is better for the qhy cam unless seeing is excellent.

The best settings i found with the qhy cam are about 50% gain, leave gamma at default but make sure the shutter speed is fast enough. 10ms is 1/100 sec giving 100fps and 20ms is 1/50 sec giving 50fps. I think the shutter speed has been your issue with the qhy cam yelsac.

There are some excellent tutorials on youtube explaining capturing in raw mode and debayering avis.

Hi thanks for the Advice. I really need it for the settings (I haven't got a clue) I'm so used to using the old SPC900 that trying a different cam is quite a challenge.

I know what you mean about the F-ratio I wasn't really bothered about using the QHY5 with the 5" mak I bought it to use with the 10" reflector (& for guiding) which is f4.7 so hopefully when I've figured out the setting it should work well. I agree its the shutter speed thats the problem along with the capture format or colour space as sharpcap calls it. I tried the shutter settings you reccomended & could only get 15fps no matter what I chose so I think I'm going to have ago with EZ Planetary or maybe Firecapture.

I'll have a look on youtube as you suggested

Thanks

On 10/03/2016 at 11:54, Space Cowboy said:

I think I must be doing something wrong

I installed EZ Planetary & put the 10ms in & all it would give me was 5fps which is crazy! thats even less then sharpcap I was getting 15fps in that. I wonder if there is a problem with the camera.

Just downloaded updated sharpcap & it now gives me 50fps YYeesssss!!!!!!! although when changed to 10ms it still gives 50fps but I'll take that.

thanks

10 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

50fps using rgb24? That sounds about right and in RAW mode it would reach 100fps. Weird that you only get 5fps in EZ planetary.

No unfortunately that was using Raw16 but 50fps is by far the best result i've had so far! Just waiting for the fog to naf off so I can try it.

By the way loved the little animation you did from the 7th with the moons

Archived