NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 24.02.16 - First of the year finally!!

theo

I think most people on here would agree that capturing decent data on Jupiter this year has so far been almost impossible due to the seemingly endless poor seeing conditions. Even on this night the seeing was still tricky, far from being steady but better that the usual we've been used to. This is the best result from the captured data, should have had more runs but the clouds rolled in around 30 mins after this image was taken. This is also my first go with the ASI224mc camera so first impressions are very good, but now I really want some decent steady seeing to get a true sense of what it's capable of...fingers crossed as time is running out for us in the northern hemisphere!!

Pete

Jupiter 24.02.2016.png

That looks great pete some nice detail comming through, yet to get some decent data worth processing, my last few outings i have been struggling with the new set up, the meade & new skyris 236m producing really big resolution with 2x, maybe time to resort back to C11 - C 9.25 in this period of poor seeing!

Ps. would be intrested to Know what your typical planetary setup is, with the meade in mono mode cheers!

Excellent detail there Pete. I expect this combo to really excel if better conditions arise. Hopefully in the next few weeks before Jupiter starts declining in size considerably, as we move away from opposition.

Well done under the variable seeing.

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

That looks great pete some nice detail comming through, yet to get some decent data worth processing, my last few outings i have been struggling with the new set up, the meade & new skyris 236m producing really big resolution with 2x, maybe time to resort back to C11 - C 9.25 in this period of poor seeing!

Ps. would be intrested to Know what your typical planetary setup is, with the meade in mono mode cheers!

Cheers Simon,

My set up for planetary consists of a Baader Planetarium Steeltrack Crayford focuser to which I attach a Starlight Express filter wheel followed by barlow / ADC and then camera in that order. There's also a few spacers involved in order to get the correct distance from the camera to the barlow lens. When I say correct distance, this is to give the nominal 2x or 3x depending on which camera i'm using. Of course additional spacing in front of the camera can be used to increase FL as required.

Pete

31 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Excellent detail there Pete. I expect this combo to really excel if better conditions arise. Hopefully in the next few weeks before Jupiter starts declining in size considerably, as we move away from opposition.

Well done under the variable seeing.

Cheers Neil. I think it will do very well, really hope we get the chance to find out!!

Pete

Great image there Pete under these trying conditions. Colours look lovely.  I was out too on the 24th but you must have had better conditions over to the west.

Good to see you finally got out there!

Regards

Harvey

Thanks chaps, appreciate the feedback.

Peter, the ADC probably doesn't make a big difference at the current elevation although without it in place or with the levers set in the neutral position some colour fringing can be seen so at least I know it's having a worthwhile effect. The lower the target gets then the more influence the ADC will have so from next season onwards the ADC will be essential in order to maximize the chances of getting a reasonable result.

Pete

A superb image Pete but by heck it has been a long wait. Lovely rich detail coming through!  Interested to read about the ADC also. Hopefully...seemed to have said this a lot this season......we will get a prolonged period of settled conditions for us all to get a good harvest of images. Jupiter now 3 days from opposition as I type and as you allude to, heading ever further south for us Northern hemisphere imagers...along with Mars, Saturn....oh dear?

Ralph

Archived