Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Rosette Nebula

steppenwolf

Looks great Steve, liking the synth green and starless version too :)  I wonder how this would look with a cannistra process done on it?

I'm still waiting for my shot at this one, its been a couple of years since I last attempted it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, folks, it was fun doing the research on such a spectacular object.

I wonder how this would look with a cannistra process done on it?

I'll have to give this a try sometime, Rob.

I mentioned the use of an Hb filter in my text and for completeness, I did capture some Hb data recently (14 x 600 sec) although the conditions were not very good. Here is a version using the original Ha and OIII data but with the addition of the Hb mapped to the blue channel. I have made no attempt to carry out any star processing on this one, i was just interested in seeing the effect on the nebula.

The green hue is typical of this process as the green channel (OIII) now has considerably more signal than the original (OIII) blue channel (now Hb).

An interesting exercise if you like that sort of thing - which I do!

The Rosette Nebula in Ha, OIII and Hb

post-1029-0-61940300-1453459918_thumb.pn

I'm really sorry that I've only just caught up with this one...!  All I can do is reiterate what everyone has said - A beautiful image and such a comprehensive and interesting write-up... 

(Have you ever thought about writing your own book...? :smile:)

Hehheh. I always think books are far too long for one person to write. How do they do it?

The Bart Bok 'rivers' anecdote comes from a nice biography by David H Levy. http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Sold-Milky-Way/dp/0816515247

I'm slightly relieved to be the kind of nonentity whose life will not be recorded by a biographer. Bok's ambition regarding the great rivers of the world is quite mild compared to some of the revelations about Robert Hooke in Stephen Inwood's biography. The anatomical consequences of horse riding, for instance, made alarming reading...

Ahem, back to the Rosette...

Olly

Your first image is truly superb, and your last green version is almost as fantastic!

We do not see than many green images here on SGL since some claim that there is no green in space. People even make plug-ins for Photoshop to remove all green. But if there was no green in space, from where do all the little green men come from?

It's true, green is not a popular colour in deep sky astrophotography but where there is doubly ionised oxygen there will be 'green' light! In 'normal' as opposed to 'false colour' imaging, I use a plug-in for PhotoShop called 'Hasta La Vista Green' (HLVG) to remove unwanted green tints. However, in my last image they should be there.

@DaveS Thanks for posting the Nitrogen filtered version. I hadn't expected to see such a good signal there but I don't have a suitable filter to try but perhaps I should put one on my 'birthday list'. I am assuming that this is an NII filter? I have been reticent about obtaining one in the past as I have always been disappointed by the results from my SII and, of course, Ha, SII and NII are all in the red portion of the spectrum. It's nice to see its use here.

Hi Steve, yes it's the [NII] Astrodon filter, but you also need the 3 nm Ha as well to sepparate them.

The image in my avatar is a NHO colour mapped version, I'll have to check, but I think I put the [NII] in the red channel, Ha in green and [OIII] in blue, like the HST but with [NII] replacing [SII] which I've found very faint in the Rosette.

Archived