NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New recruit

wingman

Hello everyone

My name is John and I live in Lowestoft but was born and brought up in Croydon.

I work (?) for the Department for Work and Pensions but don't hold it against me please, I am also a West Ham supporter of 42 years standing so that probably tells you all you need to know about my mental state!

I am just about to fulfill one of my long held ambitions and get into astronomy. It's something I've been wanting to do for years but put off until I had enough time to do it justice. Now the kids are older and circumstances mean the only activities I can do for any length of time necessitate being able to sit down (I had an op on my spine which has made me unable to walk very far) the time is right!

I have already posted about the telescope I am hoping to get in a fortnight or so, my budget just about stretches to a Skywatcher Explorer 130PM which seems a good first step.

I'm really looking forward to learning my way round the skies although my main interest (for now at least) is the moon. I was hooked when the Apollo missions were under way as I was at junior school at that time and like all school boys was convinced I could be an astronaut when I left school! I actually became a telephone engineer but at least I got off the ground, even if it was only to the top of a telegraph pole! :shocked:

Anyway I hope this is the start of a long association with SGL and hope to get to know you all in time

Regards

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL John. I won't hold your working for the DWP against you as my day job is local government officer... :cat: Your support for West Ham is potentially more of a problem... :shocked::cat: ... but not with me I hasten to add!

James

Welcome to SGL John just a quick point to consider with ref to the 130pm this is a very nice starter scope but as you have a bad back as i do you will find you will be standing quite alot with a reflector as the eyepiece will end up in some strange positions and as i find i will not be sitting for long i am still working on what to get to solve this problem

but anyhow welcome to the forum.

Mick.

Welcome to SGL John. I won't hold your working for the DWP against you as my day job is local government officer... :cat: Your support for West Ham is potentially more of a problem... :cat: :cat: ... but not with me I hasten to add!

James

:shocked::cat:

A warm welcome to SGL John. :wave:

Steve

A warm welcome to you John. You must have a stressfull time at that job.

Being a supporter of WHU is not too bad. I have always admired their attempt at playing ground based football, but it has not been too successful for them in recent times.

You have a Spurs rival on SGL, by the name of Whippy. He will be along to welcome you, but I don't know what form the welcome will take. :shocked:

Anyway, enjoy, It's a good place.

Ron. :cat:

John - welcome to this great forum.

Just a quick note on Mik's comment on eyepiece position - as the scope is quite light you can slacken the tube ring clamps and twist the tube so the focuser is in a better position.

A lot of SGLers seem to use the ironing stool Lidl sell sometimes.

Hope you get good weather when you get the scope.

Scotastro

Thanks for the info re postioning of the eyepiece, to be honest it wasn't something I'd even thought of! I think it should be ok, I can stand for reasonable amounts of time, so long as I can sit when necessary it shouldn't be a problem but once I start venturing out of the back garden I'll have to take some sort of folding stool

regards

John

Cool Fireball pic by the way 8)

Ha! Thanks, my favourite program of all time. As well as wanting to be an astronaut I also wanted to marry Venus!! I found the complete series on DVD not long ago for £14.99.....bargain!

Archived