newbie from South Africa

astronomyclubsa

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - What are you looking at photographing? I know that sounds like a daft question, but there's a big difference in the equipment needed for imaging planets, solar and Deep space objects -  What is your poison?

Welcome to SGL

Yes you can do AP on DSOs without a wedge but you will be limited to about 30 second exposures.

You will be able to do better with the wedge but my personal belief is you really need a good EQ mount.

For planetary or lunar you'll be fine. You may want a focal reducer for lunar to get the entire disk in the field of view.

Hi Astronomyclubsa and welcome to SGL, I am no photographer or imager, but have been round long enough to know that many have achieved excellent results with Alt/Az, without the use of a wedge, never the less, long exposure DSO imaging, is not viable without equatorial and accurate tracking facilities.

In your case, should you want to venture this far, then a wedge would be required, however, using such an add on device is sometimes not as straight forward as using a dedicated equatorial driven mount, that is well capable of handling the scope and accessories. If this is the eventual route you want to take, then an equatorial mounted scope, should be given consideration. I am sure some of our experienced imagers will make comment, if this is in any way misleading, enjoy the forum :)

• 7 months later...

Hi and thank you everyone! I managed to capture some nice images without the mount.

Will post some pics later. I`m now selling the 8" Celestron SCT and the 8" Skywatcher Newtonian for a 12"Meade LX90.

Hope to get great images with this scope

Archived