Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1848 - Yet another part of the Soul nebula!!

swag72

This is part of the Soul nebula (IC1848) that appears to have nothing by way of specific designation. It;s also rarely imaged if you look around. It's on the 'back' of the nebula itself. IC1848  is about 7500 light years distant in the constellation Cassiopeia.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Mount: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
Telescope: Orion Optics ODK10
Camera: QSI683 with Astrodon 3nm Ha, OIII and SII filters

25x1800s Ha
25x1800s OIII
25x1800s SII Totalling 37.5 hours.

post-5681-0-60263800-1447700051_thumb.jp

You can see a larger res version here

Very nice Sara! Love it!

I did this area myself (only in mono) and just looked back to find it was over 2 years ago and with my old Atik 314l+ camera! It looks a little soft here compared to the flickr version I just saw, and the colours a little less saturated, but I expect that is the flickr algorithms applying their auto enhance settings without asking! But in all seriousness is there room for a little bit more sharpening?

Thanks all for your comments - They are much appreciated!

@John - Your image all those years ago stuck in my mind and I promised that I'd do it one day! So thanks!! I'm not too sure about the sharpening - Personally having worked with the data I think I'm on the limit for it...... But I will go and take another look for sure :) I'm hoping that the larger res version looks better?

Thanks all for your comments - They are much appreciated!

@John - Your image all those years ago stuck in my mind and I promised that I'd do it one day! So thanks!! I'm not too sure about the sharpening - Personally having worked with the data I think I'm on the limit for it...... But I will go and take another look for sure :) I'm hoping that the larger res version looks better?

The version here looks fine, it's just that I had them both open in tabs at the same time and noticed flickr had sharpened it a little more (as it is prone to do) and made me wonder if there was any space left. Having looked at the full res version I'm inclined to agree with you, always leave them wanting more!! :D

I like the diagonal bottom left to top right composition and the three pillars off-centre - great framing.  Colour balance and saturation are spot on for me, there is a tendency to over saturate NB images and you have resisted here to great effect.

If this image was mine, I'd be pleased as punch.  I might be tempted to experiment with a gentle contrast curve to lift the nebula from the background just a touch more . . . however, I acknowledge that I am splitting hairs and being quite subjective.

What's the overall weight of the OTA and ccd do you reckon?  The Linear FR seems to handle guiding fine with this combo with good star shapes.

Thanks Barry - I have increased the contrast just a touch and it has made a difference, so thank to you and John for getting me to look at it again! 

http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic1848_odk_contrast.jpg

Regarding the weight - I don't know for certain, but adding the components together I'd roughly anticipate about 20kgs. I was a little worried about whether the LInear would cope with it, but it's coping admirably. My imaging scale is about 0.66 arc seconds per pixel and my guiding RMS is rarely much different, so I'm pleased about that!

Thanks Pete - I'm glad that I managed to get the two main areas in this year that I wanted - There's not much left of the Soul now of interest :D

Lovely image Sara, I think any of these smaller bits of nebula look interesting if you have enough f/l to zoom in like this. The full-res version looks much better than the reduced one.

I think you're quietly sneaking in a mosaic on the Soul Neb ;-)

ChrisH

Archived