NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Amateur Astronomer Here

RideDucati

Hey everybody. I am 34 years old and live in a suburb of Charlotte, NC and I just got my first scope. It is a Meade LX90-ACF 8" with Meade Series 5000 UWA eyepieces 8.8mm 14mm and 20mm, a Series 5000 2" Diagonal, a Meade Dew Shield, the Hotech Advance Laser Collimator, the 12.5mm Orion Illuminated Reticle Wireless Plossl eyepiece, Meade's counterbalance kit but I have the 2-axis ADM Accessories counterbalance kit on a Vixen rail, Some Tele-Vue 1.25" filters and a 2" Orion Variable Polarizer 40%-1% Light Transmission 2-Piece Filter which can be separated into a circular polarizer, Zeiss Optical Cleaning Kit, the Meade LXPS7 12 volt DC batter and now have added a Nikon D5500 DSLR with SCT adapter and T-Ring. That's all I can think of right now so this is my first post so HELLO EVERYONE! I have some questions and I see this is a great community of likeminded people interested in astronomy and astrophotography. So see y'all on the boards. Thanks, Jared

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jared from Western New York state (south of Buffalo.)  Yeah, you have some nice gear there.  There are several people here at SGL who are willing to give good advice.  I have found this forum to be very helpful.  I've been collecting the necessary toys myself (and a few un-necessary toys lol.)   You will have to post some pictures as you go along.  I started with photographing the moon last year and now am getting into long exposure stuff.  Here is one of my pics with my new SCT.  Enjoy yourself JARED and welcome again to this wonderful forum. 

post-45511-0-96670200-1445534260_thumb.j

Hi Jared and welcome to SGL, I am sure you will derive a lot of pleasure from your new scope. If you run into difficulties, post your inquiries into the relevant sections of the forum to which it relates. There is a wealth of experience among the membership, who more often than not can resolve problems for you, should they arise, enjoy the forum :) 

Wow! Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome into this community. I am a member of a few forums in different hobbies and disciplines, yet I have never recieved a welcome like that from any other community. It looks like I have chosen a great forum!

To answer a few of the questions asked and to tell a bit about myself I will say I am a 34 year old male who loves my toys! Not married, no kids. So that helps. Not that I don't want that. But yes I do have a Ducati, an 1198s and a couple Aprilias. So obviously I like riding motorcycles. Also, I am into home audio, radio controlled giant scale 3D airplane flying and 3D heli rc flight. And building cars. Currently I am in the middle of dropping a JDM Toyota Supra Turbo motor into my Lexus IS300. Soon to be done. Also I have enjoyed photography and the sciences. Especially theoretical physics and have always had a love for know how or why things work the way they do. And this step into astronomy and astrophotography seems to be a natural step to be able to combine my love of the sciences and also photography. As of right now I have done some astrophotography of the moon and my first attempt at the Orion Nebula. The moon turned out great and the Orion Nebula, not so much. I had a bit of star elongation, so getting a wedge on there is my next step. I am tried 30 second exposures but I still had elongation of stars with my current az/alt setup. I will post some of my pictures when I am back home on my home computer.

But again, thanks a lot eveyone for the warm welcome!!!

Here is a couple pictures. One is a saturated one where I was just playing around with Photoshop. The other is shot in JPEG and sent to my Seeing them in full 6000x4000 would be nice or giving you a RAW that was in focus then converted, but these I posted on facebook in jpeg in a smaller resolution so here you go. My first night of shooting the moon. But the last one is really my first time shooting the moon but it was just holding my phone up to the eyepiece. And I am not sure why it is rotating one of them...post-47538-0-32132900-1446359500_thumb.jpost-47538-0-24751800-1446360839_thumb.j

post-47538-0-72685400-1446361893_thumb.j

Me thinks this is one of the looooooooongest Welcome I've seen! :eek::icon_mrgreen:

So..... Greetings and welcome to SGL, Jared. Nice to have you aboard! We're friendly folks who rarely bite, and we love questions on any & all aspects of astronomy. So don't feel shy and do ask away!

An 8" Meade LX90ACF? That's quite the 'first scope!' Congratulations - that is quite capable of revealing something new and amazing every night of your life if you live 100+ more spins around the star.

Clear skies -

Dave

Archived