Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ-EQ6 has a case of the hiccups

kendg

Not sure if this is common with this mount or not. 

Every once in a while during a sequence of images I get what look to be a small jump, kind of like a hiccup in the picture.

Then the next image is right back on line again, no significant drift on anything. Just kinda strange.

Here is a sample. The image before and after seem to be spot on just jumped a bit to the new position.

Any ideas on how I'm mucking this up  :smiley:

Thankspost-42503-0-84516600-1445381631_thumb.j

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto. Something like this happened last time I used my AZ-EQ6 while I was getting everything going. It worked fine during the session a couple of days before. I noticed it on the PHD2 screen. A sort of recurring intermittent slipping of the mount. Then the clouds rolled in so I couldn't investigate further. I just hope my mount hasn't developed a fault.

Which axis is that 'hiccup' showing itself.  Is it RA or Dec?  Does it happen exactly every 8 minutes or is it random?  To be honest it just looks like its slewed briefly in one axis.  Did you touch the handset at this time?  I'm interested to hear from you as I have just sent a PHD log to Synta to demonstrate the issue I have with mine.

It appears random and not periodic. I took a series of M51 and no hiccups at all.

As to which axis it showing up in, I don't know for sure, but I almost would suspect R.A.

I'm also going to check with the supplier today and with a local group that's meeting tonight.

I'm also going to try just running both axis full speed for a few revolutions to see if I can hear anything.

Just a guess, but tighten the clutches up as tight as you can.

With mine, the mount can be moved with the clutches done up with medium force, so I tend to tighten to the point I can't tighten any more.

I would also suggest cleaning and tuning the worm wheels if you can.

Same principle as other mounts (HE5, EQ6) there are tutorials around on how to do this.

Another problem could be cable snagging?

I had this happen once, and I put it down to cables rearranging themselves.  It occasionally runs away with itself if the connection with PHD and/or the guide cam is interrupted and reconnected in a strange way, but a reset of all the electrics seems to address that.  Once I'm into a session though, never have any hiccups - hour after hour with regular 30min subs.

OK, I looked at the time just to confirm if it isn't or is every 8 min or so. The conclusion is maybe/maybe not.

So, it doesn't look like a periodic thing. 

Here are the start times of a session of 90 second captures (hh.mm.sec) and if there was a jump or the image is OK

Time           status

07.18.21    start of session. bit of a jump

07.20.14    OK

07.22.05    OK

07.23.58    OK

07.25.51    OK

07.27.44    OK

07.29.35    hiccup

07.31.28    hiccup

07.33.20    OK

07.35.13    OK

07.37.06    hiccup

07.38.59    OK

07.40.52    OK

07.42.43    OK

07.44.36    OK

07.46.29    OK

07.48.22    OK

07.50.15    OK

07.52.05    OK

07.53.58    OK

Just some more fuel for the fire.  :smiley:

No that's not periodic. I have an RA worm drive anomaly. I ran the protocol requested by Synta which clearly shows a worm drive issue. They admit there is an error. However their current stance is that this is within mass production tolerances. I don't buy that as the issue is much more serious than I've encountered on other older Synta mounts. I'm currently in dialogue with the retailer and Synta to that effect.

Mine wasn't periodic either, it would happily track for 45mins and then throw a wobbly. The issue was also in RA. I have seen people report issued on more than one occasion, perhaps a quality control issue??

OK, a bit of an update. 

I think that over the last while the mount has been drinking glasses of water upside down because the hiccups seem to be gone.

I released the clutches and spun things around in both axes to see if I cloud hear or feel anything. All seemed ok.

I set up an session of pictures for an hour and no hiccups. The pictures weren't that great but didn't show any jumps.

I did capture a poor image of the Dumbbell Nebula but it severely washed out from the moon light.

Now to wait for another clear night to try things out again.

Have you tried to purposfully mis-polar align he mount and then just leave it tracking in sidereal rate unguided for prolonged periods of time (lots of 30 minute subs) to see if there is periodic and/or non-periodic errors in the startrails?

James

It wasn't my idea, I read about this the other day and it made me think of this thread; it suggested mis-aligning by about 10 degrees to the east [or west I think] of the NCP. I guess you could then stack the subs in DSS but just uncheck the "alignment" option so it simply overlays the subs rather than tries to align on any spots of light. Will be interreted to see the results. I might try it on my mount too just to look at what sort of errors there are. I guess it could be done on a night woth patchy cloudto save wasting a good clear night, or a moonlit nigh.

James

Just FYI - i also have a AZEQ6, only had this mentioned problem once.

But this was due to the (very noticeable) RA backlash on a balance shift (if you have way out of balanced everything, it will be enough force to flop)

I rebalanced and have never had that problem since over a year now.

Kind regards, Graem

Just FYI - i also have a AZEQ6, only had this mentioned problem once.

But this was due to the (very noticeable) RA backlash on a balance shift (if you have way out of balanced everything, it will be enough force to flop)

I rebalanced and have never had that problem since over a year now.

Kind regards, Graem

I suspect backlash. I have not had the same hiccups as kendg, but on a fairly regular basis, Ponitcraft in APT gets "stuck" approximately 4' of arc away from centring the desired target. The mount blatantly does not move, despite being commanded to do so by the software. It will do this even for targets away from the meridian, presumably because it over shot on the previous move.

Archived