Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright nebulae and Globula Cluster ( NGC 6723, 6726, 6727, 6729 )

MikeODay

Bright Nebula & Globula Cluster - by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/MikeODay )

I struggled with the colour balance with this one - the 'red' stars in the cluster are still too pink I think. Anyway it is as good as I have been able to get it so far...

Bright Nebulae in Corona Australis with the Globula Cluster just over the border in Sagittarius ( NGC 6723, 6726, 6727, 6729 ).

The complex of bright nebula reflects the light from nearby stars and shines out from an area of dense obscuring cloud 400 light years away in the constellation of Corona Australis. Their apparent neighbour in Sagittarius, the globula cluster NGC 6723, is in fact much further away with its light just now reaching us from 28,000 years ago. The bright star in the lower left, Epsilon Coranae Australis, is a yellow-white star twice the size of the Sun and is a relative stone's throw away at 99 light years distance from Earth.

Links:

500px.com/MikeODay

photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Details:

RA 19h 2m, Dec -36deg 40'.

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount

Orion Short Tube 80mm guide scope & auto guider - PHD2.

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector & UHC-S 'nebula' filter.

Nikon D5300 (unmodified).

Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.

20 x 200 sec,

20 x 15 sec,

20 x 7 sec,

20 x 3 sec,

20 x 1 sec,

ISO800.

Pixinsight & Photoshop

taken 19 Sept 2015 (processed 5 Oct 2015)

That's really nice! Maybe use the Selective Colour tool in PS to improve the colour of the magenta/pink stars?

Regards

John

Hi John!, Nice image. Have you tryed color calibration in Pixinsight? when I use this tool, in images like your, I deactivate "Structure detection".

Regards

Juan

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I've used photoshop for years now but I'm perhaps too set in my ways and I just reuse the same basic tools over and over. I've not used the 'selective colour' tool but I will have a play with it and see what I can achieve.

As for pixinsight, well I'm a complete novice here - I keep on looking for the layers button :)

Again, I'll find the 'colour calibration function and see what I can do with it.

Cheers

Mike

Archived