NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lumicon Oiii and UHC supplier

seiko

Rother valley Optics I believe had them on order when I contacted them a few weeks back, could be worth contacting to get an update.  I purchased mine from agenaastro, great and prompt service but you may take a hit on taxes.

I ended up getting an astronomik, only tried it once but it seems an improvement on the baader but at a big hike in price

Thats par for the course though with many pieces of astro equipment Steve isn't it ?. The last 10% of performance gain comes at the most expense.

The Baader filters are nicely made though. My issue with them (for visual) is that the UHC-S is too generous while the O-III is too "mean" with light band pass width.

The Baader filters are nicely made though. My issue with them (for visual) is that the UHC-S is too generous while the O-III is too "mean" with light band pass width.

I love the UHC=S John. Its as a very effective filter for Jupiter, the wide band pass really lift out the detail. I compared them to the TV planetary and the bandpass were almost identical but at a much cheaper price.

My mate has the TV planetary so when she comes back round we are going to have a shoot out and compare notes.

Steve

I love the UHC=S John. Its as a very effective filter for Jupiter, the wide band pass really lift out the detail. I compared them to the TV planetary and the bandpass were almost identical but at a much cheaper price.

My mate has the TV planetary so when she comes back round we are going to have a shoot out and compare notes.

Steve

I had the TV planetary filter for about a week. I tried it a couple of times on Jupiter but it did nothing at all for me and I did not like the bubble-gum pink tone it seemed to impart to everything. I returned it to the vendor and got a refund, less the postage. Others have had more success with it so I guess it's just me ..... :rolleyes2:

The UHC-S was my first narrow(ish) band filter and the 1st to show me the Veil Nebula so I do have a certain fondness for it :smiley:

Hi all,

I have just started looking round for filters and have had my eye on the Lumicon ones and also the Astronomik as these seem easier to find.

I was going to start with the O-111 and UHC-S but what would my money be better spent on? So really I'm looking at advice on what to get?

Damian

I got my 1.25" Lumicon OIII from astroshop.de a few months ago, which with the exchange rate from Euros worked out about £10 cheaper than Rother Valley. However I must have been very lucky as they're now over £100. The 2" are now £203. Might be worth keeping an eye on for when they do reappear.

I had the TV planetary filter for about a week. I tried it a couple of times on Jupiter but it did nothing at all for me and I did not like the bubble-gum pink tone it seemed to impart to everything. I returned it to the vendor and got a refund, less the postage. Others have had more success with it so I guess it's just me ..... :rolleyes2:

The UHC-S was my first narrow(ish) band filter and the 1st to show me the Veil Nebula so I do have a certain fondness for it :smiley:

Yes definitely been a few bubble gum pink moments with this filter John. The view would snap into place to become a more pleasing to observe ochre tone, but very dependent on seeing conditions as to whether the filter was used or not. Looking forward to giving it another trial this coming Jupiter season.

For those waiting, I hope that UK suppliers have the Lumicon filters back in stock soon, risking import taxes ain't fun.  

Hi all,

I have just started looking round for filters and have had my eye on the Lumicon ones and also the Astronomik as these seem easier to find.

I was going to start with the O-111 and UHC-S but what would my money be better spent on? So really I'm looking at advice on what to get?

Damian

Hi Damian,

Others are better placed to advice on which filter to go for first, OIII or UHC. I can however let you try my Lumicon 2" UHC at Galloway

Hi Damian,

Others are better placed to advice on which filter to go for first, OIII or UHC. I can however let you try my Lumicon 2" UHC at Galloway

Cheers Ian

I have been thinking for a while now about them so will definitely be 2" as all my eyepieces are.

Hi all,

Damian

I would go Lumicon and perhaps, given the time of year, UHC first? OIII is fabulous on the Veil but perhaps there are a few more targets that the UHC favours. Often it is a case of the UHC showing more extensive nebulisation but the OIII can show better contrast in dust lanes and other detail on the same target.

Not sure about the UHC-S? What targets were you thinking for?

I've just acquired (on the back of John's favourable reviews, no pressure ;) ), a DGM NPB filter which might make a good companion with the OIII. It's not as tight as a UHC and gives more natural stars as I understand it.

I would recommend the Lumicon, very well made and do the job perfectly, only really available in the US, where I bought mine at AgenaAstro.com.  Very efficient shipping, usually same day. Minimal import charges, in fact, got away with one.

Personaly, if I were confronted with either an OIII or UHC-S, I'd resolve to get both when possible - and if scarce - and buy whichever I found first. They're both very useful filters, and will provide years of service. You can play a side-by-side comparison on objects rarely mentioned. The publication of the data gleaned would be of benefit to all the folks' out there who are asking the same question: OIII or UHC-S.....

Filters are fun!

Dave

Rother valley Optics I believe had them on order when I contacted them a few weeks back, could be worth contacting to get an update.  I purchased mine from agenaastro, great and prompt service but you may take a hit on taxes.

I would recommend the Lumicon, very well made and do the job perfectly, only really available in the US, where I bought mine at AgenaAstro.com.  Very efficient shipping, usually same day. Minimal import charges, in fact, got away with one.

I too have purchased items including the UHC from Agena Astro, they are fast, efficient and good with my international shipping. My needed 2" Lumicon Hb will come from there. I'm surprised they are hardish to get over there?

I would go Lumicon and perhaps, given the time of year, UHC first? OIII is fabulous on the Veil but perhaps there are a few more targets that the UHC favours. Often it is a case of the UHC showing more extensive nebulisation but the OIII can show better contrast in dust lanes and other detail on the same target.

Not sure about the UHC-S? What targets were you thinking for?

I've just acquired (on the back of John's favourable reviews, no pressure ;) ), a DGM NPB filter which might make a good companion with the OIII. It's not as tight as a UHC and gives more natural stars as I understand it.

Cheers for the advice all,

Apologies Stu I did mean the UHC (copy and paste from somewhere else) so I'll look around for both in 2" and see where I can pick them up from?

Maybe worth a look at Agena Astro if I can't find them anywhere here in lumicon guise.

Must dig around in these pockets a little deeper!

Damian

For what it's worth, for several years I owned a 2" Astronomik O-III and found it all the deep sky filter I needed in a range of scopes from 4" to 12". It's a very versatile piece of kit.

I've now moved to a Lumicon O-III complimented with an DGM NBP filter which perhaps give a little more flexibility but I'm not 100% sure as yet.

I tend only to want to use filters where they make a substantial difference, preferring the unfiltered views where possible. I think I could still quite happily exist with just the Astronomik O-III if I'm honest about it.

For what it's worth, for several years I owned a 2" Astronomik O-III and found it all the deep sky filter I needed in a range of scopes from 4" to 12". It's a very versatile piece of kit.

I've now moved to a Lumicon O-III complimented with an DGM NBP filter which perhaps give a little more flexibility but I'm not 100% sure as yet.

I tend only to want to use filters where they make a substantial difference, preferring the unfiltered views where possible. I think I could still quite happily exist with just the Astronomik O-III if I'm honest about it.

Thanks for that John and I didn't mean to hijack the thread about which filters to have. It's probably why I've not purchased any as yet but I'm getting to the end of what I essentially need so they have been the last on my list.

Damian

Archived