The Milky Way Passing Through Cygnus

21335651289_f310d2ed0b_b.jpg

Another outing for the kit lens the week before last, showing Cygnus and the Summer Triangle. IC1396 is just showing at the left. I actually had two attempts on consecutive nights but both were stopped early by dew on the lens. Tried stacking both sets together but it came out horribly distorted, so this is just 8 x 150 second subs from the 8th, 20 minutes of data. Used a borrowed STM lens at 5.0, think it's a bit better than my kit lens.

Very happy with the colours in this one but I'd welcome any feedback.

21510876996_6b88c4d5bd_b.jpg

You really do need a wide view to fit in all of Cygnus.

21176688429_d7819e193f_b.jpg

And here's the busy region at 50mm.

Thanks all, glad you like them.

Lovely and thanks for labeling it; it is a bit like going to a dark site and looking up, and being totally lost as the usual asterisms are swamped by background stars you never knew existed.

I know what you mean, I've struggled to find the constellations from a dark site and in busy widefield.

I'm not sure I'm afraid, I borrowed it so I've only used it for AP. I think the other advantage is that it focusses silently, so it's good for video.

Sorry I meant how does the focus feel in manual mode I know my nifty fifty STM has much better focus resolution and feel over the old one more like the focus range of the old manual lenses.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again all.

Sorry I meant how does the focus feel in manual mode I know my nifty fifty STM has much better focus resolution and feel over the old one more like the focus range of the old manual lenses.

Alan

It felt less sloppy than the manual focus on my fit lens, but found it confusing that there is no indication which way is towards infinity.

Archived