3 Legged Thing

Charic

I'm with Steve regarding Dysons, but the "Tripod called Brian" is certainly the most amusing thing I've seen all day. Look good and look well engineered but at the price they should be. Are they as good as they look? Sorry Charic that's what you want to know. 

Amusing names.  There are more on the "discontinued" section.

Rick and Vyv sounds like some are named after the Young Ones rather than rock stars.  Not sure who "Tony" might be a reference to though, unless it's Tony Hadley of Spangly Ballet.  And "Nigel"?  Nigel Tufnel, perhaps?

James

Amusing names.  There are more on the "discontinued" section.

Rick and Vyv sounds like some are named after the Young Ones rather than rock stars.  Not sure who "Tony" might be a reference to though, unless it's Tony Hadley of Spangly Ballet.  And "Nigel"?  Nigel Tufnel, perhaps?

James

Unless they've changed their naming strategy, I thought all 3-Legged Thang's models were named after rock idols

• 1 month later...

Well having watched youtube,  showing some early product details and a company background check, I kinda like what 3LT have to offer, and even though they  seem quirky, with their Blue and  Bronze Airheads,  and their adverts are something to be desired, they look extremely good tripods. I`m focussing on the 3 Legged Thing X5a Tony Evo 2 Tripod, if their still available?  and comparing and assessing with the Manfrotto 055 series.

The last time I really looked at tripods, when I was more enthusiastic with my photography in my 35mm Days, Benbo was a market leader, and so far have not researched any further, I`ll continue with the two already mentioned for now.

• 4 weeks later...

The 'Tony' arrived and its a stunning piece of kit, however there is a back-order delay for the Mowhawk AirHed Ball head, so still waiting for that item to arrive and still considering a Manfrotto 055 and  the  '222'  trigger grip ball head.

I have seen them before...handy for mid sized cameras and lenses and also for flashes and the various configurations are handy...certainly much more flexible than an equivalent Manfrotto.

However I certainly wouldn't want to put a heavy lens and camera combo on one of them like they do in their video, they are extending the centre column way too high...(I don't even have a centre column on my tripod). It would be okay if you were holding the lens the whole time but I wouldn't leave it unattended...even the slightest breeze will topple it as the centre of gravity is totally in the wrong place. I also wouldn't trust that head either...A bit of dangerous advertising if you ask me.

Was it the Tony you viewed? .....the 3LT Tony so far is the most solid and stable tripod I have encountered, comparing to whats available from the high street stores. The Mohawk AirHed is due to arrive today, so I will be able to better assess what I have, but it looks promissing.

Ive also managed to secure a Manfrotto 222 trigger head, and I like the extension arm / centre pole ystem on their 055 series, so will probably order that next, unless I discover something better? Benbo was a favourite of mine many Years ago!

That's some cool tripods & heads. Wish we had those over here in Podunk. I'm always keeping an eye out for good tripods etal. And those look contagious and would catch on over here.

Ah well - I wonder if the Three-Toed guy below had a hand (or claw) in the design-phase.....

Dave

post-38438-0-99885900-1446271860.jpg

......I'm sure the 'Henry' is still available from Currys!

Well, the AirHed 3 with Pano-head arrived, Stunning piece of kit and three times the price of the Mohawk head I had originally ordered!

Being an honest chap, a replacement is being arranged, and they will arrange the collection of the AirHed3 this week.

That said, as much as I like the 3LT system, I don't feel comfortable or confident with the Arca-Swiss quick release system?

I have just received a Manfrotto 222 in the post from the bay! Looks like its never been used? I have also ordered the new 055 Manfrotto, Alu, with 3 way head, preferring their horizontal centre pole system, which when horizontal, and fitted with either the 3 way, or the 222 should suffice for my astronomy, binocular needs, but will only find out if its good enough after I get my hands on it.

As for the fate of the 3LT-Tony.......have'nt decided yet!

Sorry about your weather   :sad:

The New series 055 Manfrotto arrived today, here it is with my recently acquired  ' 222 '  trigger grip  ball-head, supporting some Revelation 15x70's

Manfrotto Binocular setup

This appears to be almost  perfect for my needs at present, for binocular work anyway,  Even my 8x40s will ride this setup!

I also have the new 3 way pan tilt head, which should work just as-well as the 222, but the 3-way  will get used more often under my DSLR, and any  video work?

In the image above,  the legs either side the chair are longer than the leg furthest away to counter balance the weight of the binoculars which extend outwith the tripods central axis.

The binoculars  are very steady, and if the weather was any better, I would go out and have a test run.

Archived