New scope has a defect on the primary mirror, but should I return it?

Hi, I have just brought my first telescope, heritage 130p flex. On inspection the primary mirror has a defect by one of the clips. Please see photo. I am wondering if this is worth sending it back for. If there is any chance this may affect what I see then I will do. Please let me know your thoughts.

It is shown in the pic just round from the clip, almost looks like a desperate little mirror on the primary. As its on the edge it might be ok.

Thanks

post-45788-0-23583200-1436594720_thumb.j

One aspect for returning it is if you get a bigger one in the future and sell this one, you could have a problem selling it on.

Seems to be a case of it may not bother you, it may not effect the observing but if you upgrade then selling it could be a bit of a concern to potential buyers.

Well a small chip on a mirror edge won't affect the views in any perceivable way - whereas if it were a lens it would cause reflections and distortions ruining an eyepiece or scope. But as above - if we buy new the product should be perfect. We only accept "as seen" or "slightly damaged" when we buy second hand.

In this case I would either send it back to be replaced with a perfect product - or I would ask for a reasonable discount. If you go the discount route you could turn the mirror round under a clip. Hth :)

i would definitely send it back . Why would you accept a damaged item if you bought it from new ?

I'm trying to gauge all directions. I've done a lot of research but have no real experience in these matters. From reading other posts some people have had bent secondary posts, some have had the secondary support offset from centre of mirror, few cant get finder scope to adjust enough to be accurate....bla...bla.. On the whole I'm very happy with it and don't seem to suffer from all the other possible defects associated with this scope.

So it's a case of accept this one or send it back on the hope the next one is perfect. All time consuming with not much gain if where the location of this defect is and its size won't make any difference to the use of the telescope.

I do totally agree though that the logic approach would be to return it.

Thanks everyone. Have just sent an email off to first light optics who I brought it off. It does not state on their website if they will pay for the return delivery if it's faulty on arrival. I'm hoping so else it will add onto the cost of the purchase if it's not free to return...then if others sent also have a fault, the costs of delivery will soon mount up.

Thanks everyone. Have just sent an email off to first light optics who I brought it off. It does not state on their website if they will pay for the return delivery if it's faulty on arrival. I'm hoping so else it will add onto the cost of the purchase if it's not free to return...then if others sent also have a fault, the costs of delivery will soon mount up.

You are quite right to contact the seller. First Light Optics will sort this out for you I have no doubt. I know the folks that run it personally and their service is excellent.

Welcome to SGL :smile:

Please don't be concerned, we received your email this morning. My colleague James replied offering to send you a replacement telescope and to collect the original. Meanwhile please feel free to use the telescope (the chip on the edge of the mirror shouldn't be there but it won't affect the views). 

HTH, 

Steve

PS: We always pay for collection of goods that are faulty on arrival, warranty returns too  :angel:

Was just logging in to let you know flo had responded to my email to find a reply from them in my post. Very impressed so far. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I ordered from flo purely from feedback on the forums here, not to mention choosing the 130p also from reading here. Itching now for this dull weather to clear up.

Sounds like they will sort me out, thank god I didn't go to anyone less reputable.

as soon as i seen it was flo i thought no worries there, they are the best for customer service, if they sold televue products then all the others could close and me for one wouldnt notice the others had closed, sure i speak for a lot of people on here. good result

from what ive seen on here, FLO will take care of you, heck they are the forums sponsors why  would they darken their reputation on such a large gorup of customers

Hi, I have just brought my first telescope, heritage 130p flex. On inspection the primary mirror has a defect by one of the clips. Please see photo. I am wondering if this is worth sending it back for. If there is any chance this may affect what I see then I will do. Please let me know your thoughts.

It is shown in the pic just round from the clip, almost looks like a desperate little mirror on the primary. As its on the edge it might be ok.

Thanks

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It will most likely make no difference at all. Mirrors work in strange ways. You will find out when some stands infront of the dob and you can see your target perfectly fine.

And i hartly agree. FLO always give me perfect customer service especially if there's a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Quick update, just received the replacement from flo, and first impressions are that this one is in good shape. No chip on the mirror and the focuser is a lot stiffer. This means the eye pieces don't have so much play in them. Thanks for convincing me to exchange, was worth it just for the stiffer focuser, perfect mirror is a plus.

FLO want the stiffer focuser back because that wasnt on your list of complaints.

Just kidding. 

The after sales care from FLO is out of this world, not that any item i have bought from them needed after sales care. FLO are in my top 3 of astro gear retailers............and my top 3 are in no particular order of preference, but most of my gear has come from FLO.

Archived