NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HAVE I BOUGHT BEFORE I ASKED THE RIGHT PEOPLE??

Hi everyone,

I am new here, so please be gentle.

I purchased a Celestron Sky prodigy 6 sct. The main reason for doing so is that I lack knowledge and have difficulty learning new technologies, so the salesperson convinced me that due to its high level of computerisation I could almost take it out of the box and compete with Hubble.

Well I have got it out of the box and have now spent a pile of money purchasing lots of 'extra's' but I have not yet seen a planet or even the moon through it. I do accept that the weather has been against me and I have learned that the place I purchased from know less than I do.

So a simple question, have I made a sensible purchase and just need practise and guidance or am have I just joined the list of fools and bought a big expensive waste of space?

Your experienced honest feedback is very welcome,

Kind regards

Andy

CELESTRON SKY PRODIGY 6sct, CANON 16mp EOS 1200D (dslr), GOOD QUALITY CUSTOM LAPTOP WITH HIGH-END GRAPHICS, INTEL i7 PROC, SMART 48TV (for viewing, due to limited vision) NUMEROUS CABLES, EYE PIECES, FILTERS, SOFTWARE, LOTS OF EQUIPMENT VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE

Andy,

Welcome to SGL and welcome to astronomy.

The Clestron 6" SCTs are fantastic little scopes and when you do finally get to look through it I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I have never used the Sky Prodigy self-aligning mount but if it does what it says on the tin it should help you find your way around the sky.

One thing that it will never be is Hubble, but nor will any other Earth-bound telescope. Have a read through this thread, preferably before you look through the scope...http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

Best of luck with the new scope.

Oh, and spending lots of money is an unavoidable part of the hobby :wink:

The main reason for doing so is that I lack knowledge and have difficulty learning new technologies, so the salesperson convinced me that due to its high level of computerisation I could almost take it out of the box and compete with Hubble.

I wish it were that simple.

I have no knowledge of the Sky prodigy scope but the only one I know from experience that will do it is the Meade LS6.

Not sure how easy it would have been but Lee at Green Witch somewhere around Leeds would have been a very good option. Not sure how far that is from you either.

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL

the 6 se is a pretty good scope just a case of getting used to setting it up, it will show nice but not hubble images of a lot of things and in time you will be able to image planets, moon and even the sun (correct white light filter needed for the sun)

where abouts in west yorks are you

No matter what scope you will buy even one costing thousands it will never ever compete with Hubble.Pictures you see in mags also have been processed so you will also see nothing like that.With your scope you will see dso,s as smudges and you will see detail on Mars,Jupiter and Saturn and its rings.If you go down the astrophotography route yes this will bring out a lot more detail as you will find on this site there are some amazing imagers here.

I could almost take it out of the box and compete with Hubble.

And so you can - just not on nearly the same level

Setting that aside, you can have loads of fun with what you have. I'm finding it takes time to get your head around what is in the night sky, so give it time and you'll find it very rewarding

Richard

It sounds like the ideal scope for you. Once you master it's controls you won't be disappointed - it's a good little scope. But astronomy is a technical subject with a lot to learn - so if you're not an expert straight away, don't blame yourself. Just take it a day at a time and appreciate that patience is a virtue, and practise makes perfect.

A lot of folks with simpler set ups are still struggling months down the line - so you ain't alone - just ask away here in the appropriate forum board and you'll soon get the answers you're looking for. Good luck and welcome to SGL. :)

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL

the 6 se is a pretty good scope just a case of getting used to setting it up, it will show nice but not hubble images of a lot of things and in time you will be able to image planets, moon and even the sun (correct white light filter needed for the sun)

where abouts in west yorks are you

Thanks for your comments, I am in Tingley south Leeds, I am having some trouble navigating this site so I apologise for the delay in responding, I will get the hang of it. I have purchased a solar filter and in fact the sun is the only object I have managed to capture, I am curious as to how the sun can be tracked which would allow me to video it!

I have patience and due to a rare medical condition I have time to work my way through this new world, it has been a long time since I have held such a strong interest and that alone is great.

Kind Regards

Andy

Andy, does your scope have a Solar tracking mode? This may sound simplistic but many of these setups will track for quite some time if you start them from an initial 'start' position and then manually find your target. If the tracking is switched on then you should be able to capture your video.

I'm not familiar with your particular setup, but others on here will be.

SCTs are great, it's got starsense built in so I imagine it'll be a turn it on, enter date and time and the scope will do the rest kinda job. I use a starsense accessory with my scope and it's real easy to use. Good choice and welcome to the forum

The scope's fine. Hubble is a photographic telescope and cameras collect light over time, which the eye cannot do. The eye cannot compete in terms of seeing colour or faint detail. 

However, everyone should buy from an astronomy retailer. That's for sure.

You'll have fun.

Olly

I wish it were that simple.

I have no knowledge of the Sky prodigy scope but the only one I know from experience that will do it is the Meade LS6.

Not sure how easy it would have been but Lee at Green Witch somewhere around Leeds would have been a very good option. Not sure how far that is from you either.

+1 definitely for Lee at Green Witch . Its in Batley (not far from Ikea) 

Very knowledgeable Guy . no pressure , go in , ring him up , email him  - really helpful 

I've had questions and he's emailed back links to websites which have really helped 

I've bought all my (limited so far) Kit from him as I can really use the advice and after sales support which is really excellent 

Usual tracking abilities - see pg17 of your instructions.

Starsense is great for alignment and about £300 as a separate purchase.

Looking at the manual I'd say that's a decent first scope and should be easy to use.

Welcome.

Archived