SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Albireo and AURORA?!

Ccolvin968

Yesterday night (June 22nd) could have been one of the most amazing nights for observing yet. I started out with the Moon as I always do if it's out. I love observing right along the terminator. So much detail even from the smaller craters. I moved over to Jupiter right after that. All four moons were visible. One almost eclipsed by the other. I've gotta learn to identify each moon. I also spent some time with Venus. It appeared closer to 50% full than my last report. Another target I wanted to try to split was Albireo. I'd read it was really easy to split. I got it in my scope and it was stunning! In a 24mm ep on a 5 inch scope, it split it very well. Right around this time I noticed what I thought were high level clouds. Never fun in this hobby. As I was staring at them in disdain, I noticed a green hue. I thought, "No way..." I had heard forecasts saying that there was a major solar storm, but it wouldn't impact my area. Sure enough, it got darker, and I grabbed my camera. It turned out to be a stunning display for about 2 hours. Blues, greens, and purples. The sky was alive. At least it looked that way. As I was letting my camera snap away, I was facing to the SSE, and boom! A meteor goes streaking across the sky. Fairly slow, bright, and blue in color. I'm fairly certain it was a Sagittarid meteor. There was a second one to the south as well. It was much more faint and had a different radiant. The night couldn't have been better. The Moon, two gorgeous planets, my first double star I have ever split, my first Aurora I've seen in person, and meteors. All over a two hour period. So much was going on! For sure a night I will never forget. I have pictures of the Aurora posted in the special events forum under the observations thread if you are interested.

Special. Those nights won't come along very often. But when they do......

Thanks for posting. Next up? Have a crack at the Double Double (Epsilon Lyra - 2 close pairs) near Vega.

Paul

Epsilon Lyra* sorry. I was at my scope and excited. I waited until it got darker. I didn't know binaries could be spaced what looks far away from their companion star.

very neat Paul! Thanks for the suggestion!

That's exactly what I saw. I had to pull back on the magnification. Once I did that I saw both of them and their companions. I expected some fairly close companions for both. Also verified on a star chart that I was seeing the correct thing. Very cool pair. Thanks again for the tip! I was out again last night and had some new planetary filters and nd moon filters. New report as soon as I have time to organize my thoughts. :-)

Archived