oiii filter

alro

Thanks for posting the data sheet al.

I was put off considering the 1.25" OIII as the data sheet on the STL site shows the 496 line with a pass of 61% which I thought was a bit low.

It's interesting that the data sheet you posted shows a pass of 86% at the 496 line.

I'm tempted to give one a try now - just slightly concerned at the variation in the pass band though!

Graham.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was put off considering the 1.25" OIII as the data sheet on the STL site shows the 496 line with a pass of 61% which I thought was a bit low.

It's interesting that the data sheet you posted shows a pass of 86% at the 496 line.

I'm tempted to give one a try now - just slightly concerned at the variation in the pass band though!

Graham.

I bought an H-Beta filter from STL and it turned out to have a max band pass of just 70% which is far to low for a visual filter (which it was advertised as). I was given a prompt refund when I raised it with the retailer and the promotional blurb for the filters has changed now I think. I believe the lower max pass % filters are intended for imaging rather than visual. For the latter you need 90% plus I feel.

I get mine this Saturday but the Horses head is away for a while, gives me something to look forward to, should be able to do it from here with the 18 inch. 

I tell you what though I must be a bit nuts spending the best part of a 100 quid on a filter that so far as I know HH is one of the few objects that responds to H Beta, I wanted the 2 inch really but over 200 quid was the straw that broke the camels back. Secondhand they seem as rare as chocolate fireguards, still now the HH has bolted maybe this is the time to look out.

Alan.

Alan whilst you are waiting for the HH I would use the H.Beta to view the Cocoon Neb and California Neb. In due time it will be interesting how you get on with HH in the 18". I certainly won't forget my view with a 16" Dob and the Astronomik H.Beta filter.

Graham.

thanks graham,

i can confirm that is the data sheet that came with my oiii filter. I still have not had a chance to use yet.

I went for stl brand as i was delighted with uhc i got. There are a lot of more experienced guys on here who know a lot more about filters. But so far this brand works for me as does price.

Al

Yes indeed. Two words, Veil and Nebula!!!

Olly

I'm quite intrigued now, I've had the filter for 2 weeks now and still no joy getting first light with it, I believe the veil is a large subject? 3° I think I read somewhere! My 24mm Maxvision gives me just 1.64° so it would take a whopping 43mm at 82° to get that monster in fov! I highly doubt a focal length of that size would give a usable exit pupil! Does the veil take magnification well?

I'm quite intrigued now, I've had the filter for 2 weeks now and still no joy getting first light with it, I believe the veil is a large subject? 3° I think I read somewhere! My 24mm Maxvision gives me just 1.64° so it would take a whopping 43mm at 82° to get that monster in fov! I highly doubt a focal length of that size would give a usable exit pupil! Does the veil take magnification well?

you need a low power wide field, and just gently nudge east to west, awsome site. go some were black like snowdonia and you will love it and see the maroon colour. lovely

The Veil is a large object. With my 4" F/6.5 refractor and my 31mm Nagler eyepiece I can get a 3.8 true field which is enough to fit both the east and west segments of the Veil into the same field of view. It's one of the best sights in Summer astronomy for me :grin:

Each of these segments is about 1.5 degrees in extent (visually) plus there are some other nebulous elements in between them. On a dark transparent night they present really nicely with the O-III filter.

You can observe the E & W segements separately of course. The E is the brightest but the W is probably easier to find as it snakes right past the star 52 Cygni which is magnitude 5.2 so naked eye visible. I've seen the Eastern Veil with 15x70 binoculars unfiltered on a very dark transparent night a couple of years back.

you need a low power wide field, and just gently nudge east to west, awsome site. go some were black like snowdonia and you will love it and see the maroon colour. lovely

Getting to snowdonia I can do, purchasing another e'p is a no go for now especially a lower power 82° one, it's cost me a small fortune getting a RACI, Filter and two new Ep's now, if I was to get say a 32/34mm would I necessarily need 82° AFOV? Although a 34mm 68° only gives 0.29° more than my 24mm does. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm itching to use my Oiii on the veil. I've had good views from a dark site with my 6" and 8" from a dark site with my Antares LP filter. My UHC enabled me to just about make the veil out from my badly light polluted garden with my 10". It really was just a very slight hint though. The 10" and Oiii from a dark site should be good.

Your Maxvision 24mm / 82 will show 1.68 true degrees of sky which is enough to fit either the Western or Eastern segement of the Veil in to the field.

I guess by viewing the segments individually and spending some time at the e'p I might be able to tease out some detail.

If my calculations are right john I estimate your frac to be of about 670mm focal length? Shorter focal length scopes give wider views, is that right?

I could never understand how many people on the forum have 2-3 and even 4-5 different scopes, I'm now beginning to understand.

Apologies to the Op for jacking your topic, it seemed daft to start a near identical topic on Deep Sky Filters when yours was ideal to my selfish aims :D

I'm itching to see anything, clear all day and as soon as it is anywhere near dark the thunderstorms come out to play. I was hopeful last night to try out the 17.3mm D but someone must have sent the new eyepiece gods an e-mail.

alan

I am not having much luck, clear sky and I am ill with a temperature of 38.8, the wife has filled me with pills so I will either be better by morning or, well just or. I have felt rough for 3 days but is came to a head earlier on, still what ever she gave me  seems to be working, so it's early night, a very early night.

Alan.

The clouds of doom are still hovering overhead, still waiting to use my new filter, all the veil nebula talk sounds very impressive, some good help in your posts guys.

al

I am not having much luck, clear sky and I am ill with a temperature of 38.8, the wife has filled me with pills so I will either be better by morning or, well just or. I have felt rough for 3 days but is came to a head earlier on, still what ever she gave me seems to be working, so it's early night, a very early night.

Alan.

...Alan I had to wait 2 years for a perfect night with my scope!

I think the Veil is one of those targets that works at a range of different mags.

Like John, I've seen the Eastern Veil from a dark site in 15x50 binoculars, both with and without filters.

In my 106mm triplet I get a 3.68 degree field, enough to fit the whole 'complex' in, stunning from a dark site.

Finally, whilst a big dob cannot fit more than a section in at a time, it offers a very different but at times stunning perspective, up close and with detail in the structure that you just don't get with a smaller aperture.

Some fov's here. Largest is 4.5 for binocular view, the 3.68 for a widefield scope, finally 1.21 degree for a 31 nag in my 16".

ca7ad1e240b6d15c37fa5f27af662f13.jpg1d27f6387c9976c7d28670500def8a33.jpgbe2b43ecbb999be72c7b56532bbf814a.jpg

Just wondering, have you had chance to try it out yet? I am thinking of getting either a UHC or an OIII but don't know which one or which brand so I've been following this thread closely to see what opinions you have :D

Not had a chance yet! Not to pleased with cloud situation. I have same brand uhc, for me this works fantastic, i did a small review on it a few months ago.

Nebula filter started by me 9th february in eyepieces.

al

Archived