SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

oiii filter

alro

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, looking forward to using it if these clouds and wind ever clear.

if its equal in performance to my uhc i will not be dissapointed. I was delighted with that so went for the same brand.

I am hoping i can notice the difference, but thats part of the fun and enjoyment.

i was like a young kid at christmas when i discovered what a difference my uhc filter made from no filter. Some stunning views.

al

I haven't used my UHC or OIII in awhile, but the O3 certainly did bring out more nebulousity in M42, but at the expense of dimming stars, even the Trapezium, right down. I tended to use my UHC more but as your aperture is bigger...

Have a good evening (when a clear one comes) comparing both :)

I purchased a Lumicon UHC filter a couple of weeks ago and still haven't got round to using it yet, either poor weather or in work! As I've only seen one nebula (the owl) without filter I have no idea what to expect from it yet.

I purchased a Lumicon UHC filter a couple of weeks ago and still haven't got round to using it yet, either poor weather or in work! As I've only seen one nebula (the owl) without filter I have no idea what to expect from it yet.

just wait for a good night on the veil...your jaw might break when it hits the floor!...

the lumicon OIII is widely thought of as the best OIII filter with the astronomik a very very close second,others i can't comment on as i have only looked through these two

I've used my Baader OIII on M42 and it made a big difference, but as said above, it does dim the stars somewhat.

I thought this filter would have come with a transmission curve, but it didn't. Do Baader do this with any of their products?

I've used my Baader OIII on M42 and it made a big difference, but as said above, it does dim the stars somewhat.

I thought this filter would have come with a transmission curve, but it didn't. Do Baader do this with any of their products?

The Baader O-III has around the narrowest band pass width of the O-III filters. This post in a past thread on such filters contains links to comparative charts of various O-III filters and might be of interest:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221055-oiii-visual-filter/?p=2387397

I have the Lumicom O-III, the Lumicon H-Beta and the Omega DGM NBP filters personally.

compared the baader and lumicon at sgl10, with swampthing and bigmak. objects were the veil and cresent, could see both with the baader but faint and it was 04.30 tried the lumicon and they stood out like a sore thumb. well worth the extra penny s

I bought an OIII filter (Skywatcher brand of course) with the main aim of observing the rosette nebula. It absolutely allows me to observe the rosette. I'm getting old and they grey matter is turning to jelly, i cant remember if i have seen the Veil yet. I'm sure if i had i'd remember it.

I've had my Oiii for a while but yet to try it on the veil, the main reason I bought it. Other DSO's have been improved. I use an LP, UHC and Oiii.

On the Veil, it will be simply amazing!! ;)

I've found that there are some objects where an O-III filter makes a really huge difference to the visibility of the object. The Veil Nebula complex is one, M97, the Owl Nebula is another. The Veil, to me, is sufficiently spectacular with the O-III filter to be worth the price of the filter alone being extensive, comprising of a number of distinct elements with each having a distinct character and beauty.

This said though, I find many other nebulae where I prefer the unfiltered view most of the time although the O-III and the DGM NBP do bring out other aspects of these objects so it's interesting to compare the views "with and without" so to speak.

As yet, I've not found the H-Beta filter has produced much in the way of "goods" for me but that maybe because my skies are a little too light polluted to enable good views of the rather challenging objects that respond well to the H-Beta filtration.

John,

Now you have shared the link and of course I read it I am wondering if I now need a Lumicon Olll to go with the Astronomik's Olll, Veil season is upon us, or as Michael at Sumerian called it, "the cirrus nebula", which by all accounts is another name for it.

Must look for the Owl, I have at least one here that keeps landing on my obsey roof, he don't seem to care about my heart, they don't make noise in the air but give me a start when they land.

Alan

The Owl Nebula is a great object in a larger aperture Alan. There is a good case with it to use a filter then observe filterless because the nearby galaxy M108 makes a lovely pair with M97 without the filter in place.

The feathered variety are fascinating too but don't give a hoot about their O-III emissions :grin:

Swampthing (Steve) has compared the Lumicon and Astronomik O-III's I believe with his 20" and found them both excellent.

The 3 names I'm familliar with for the Veil complex elements are the Western Veil or the Witches Broom (NGC 6960), the Eastern Veil or Bridal Veil (NGC 6992) and Pickerings Triangular Wisp which lies between the E & W segments. I'm sure there are other names for these and other sections of this fanastic complex of nebulosity as well :smiley:  

The Baader O-III has around the narrowest band pass width of the O-III filters. This post in a past thread on such filters contains links to comparative charts of various O-III filters and might be of interest:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221055-oiii-visual-filter/?p=2387397

I have the Lumicom O-III, the Lumicon H-Beta and the Omega DGM NBP filters personally.

I was aware of the narrow band pass on this particular filter. However, it seems to be working for me but I have yet to compare it with anything else.

Thanks for the link John.

Calvin,

I was always of the impression that Astonomik's and Lumincon were pretty much as good as each other both costing arms and legs, but now I am seeing words to the effect that Lumicon are a tad better, though I know this is only opinion.

I have Astronomik's 2 inch, UHC and Olll as well as 1.25 H Beta.  I also have a 2 inch Lumicon Deep Sky Filter which seems to work fairly well on DSO even though I have a very dark site.

in time I may well add the Lumicons as well but they are a hell of a price for New ones, over 200 quid, this come from a person that stated on site he prefered un-filtered views.

Sorry to the OP for going a little off the rails

alan

Thanks guys, lots of good links and potential targets to look for once this cloud clears.

Agreed with you pay more for the best etc. But at my stage/level im a little concerned with buying a top end premium one incase i drop it!

al

Archived