Moon, Venus and Mars on February 20th (tonight)

laser_jock99

I've been driving but did have a really nice view of Venus and the crescent moon close to each other. I live in a very light polluted area so the time of night just before dark when you can see the planets and crescent moon is one of my favourite times.

The moon was set last night, but I did get a view of Mars and Venus together, and between them would neatly fit the orbit of earth. It just gives you a liitle different perspective in how we fit into the scheme of things.

Went to put rubbish out about 6.30 did my usual look up at the skies and had a wow moment when I saw the trio just above thr house opposites roof. First clear sky for a week and what a sight. Had a closer kook with binos, but preferred the naked eye view

Like something from the film '2001'! The earthshine on the moon was beautiful. Turn around - and there's Jupiter. Even got the camera out on a tripod and took a couple of shots. Then took some 30s exposures of Orion... Next I'll be selling my dobs - slippery slope :)

I had a chance view yesterday of Venus and Mars, after it had been clear at 17:10 and then clouded up again by 17:30. So I hadthought that's that and went and had dinner.

But came upstairs and had a peek out the bedroom window at 18:10, and a gap had opened up just at the right altitude to see Venus with ther naked eye. Grabbed the 10x50's, and spotted Mars up and slightly east of Venus, and spotted Mars with the naked eye in the twilight by 18:15. By 18:20, the gap closed!

But tonight, just about the same time, the cloud was a bit less intrusive, and spotted the Moon with earthshine at 18:10, to the lower right of Venus and Mars. A very nice sight indeed. Followed the trio until 19:10, when the Moon disappered behing the houses behind ours to the west. As it got darker, the earthshine showed up a faint trace of the unlight maria, with Oceanus Procellarum the most prominant.

It will probably be cloudy when Venus and Mars are closest in a day or so, but you know what? Glad I got to see this grouping. As I've said before, I'll take these chance observations with binoculars when I get the chance. And I got to see Venus with Mercury a few weeks ago, so I'm two for two!

Love to try and see Venus with Uranus, and then Mars with Uranus at the start of March, but that's probably asking for too much!

Mark

What a wonderful sight last night!  As I was setting my tripod up, I spotted an object that passed straight through the conjunction, from roughly W to SSW, going just a degree or two below the moon.  It was fairly bright so I assumed it was the ISS, but then looking on Heavens Above it was not visible, so as it was roughly a bit before 7, I assume it had to be Tiangong 1, even though it seemed brighter than the 2.2 listed on HA.  Anyway, it was stunning, so stunning that I kind of forgot about the camera in my hands and just watched it, whoops, would have been a stunning photo!  No regrets though, great to watch.  Did anyone else see this?

It was also the first time I have had two planets in the FOV of my telescope, very cool.

First post by the way - hi everybody!

Archived