NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

G'day from Oz

Andyp71

Greeting smileys and grumbles,

I thought I'd better introduce myself as I'm going to be spending a millenia or two trying to read through the forum.  And if I'm going to be around for so long I might as well be known.

I'm generally known as Andyp - pronounced "Andy P".  Occasionally called Andrew.  But I'm happy with the AndyP.  It's what I'm generally known as in aero circles.

My astronomy beginnings? Dunno when I first started staring at the sky.  Too long ago. Scarily long ago. Makes me feel old just writing about it.  I do remember as a wee boy sneaking out of bed at night, slipping behind the curtains and sticking my nose against the window to look at the stars.  I think my mother helped a bit here because she was always interested in space and the cosmos so I had that feeding into me.  I loved going through the books about it all.  Skylab, Halley's comet; she dragged me out to see.  Well dragged is the wrong word - more like held me back to slow me down so I didn't trip and break my neck running in the dark.  Growing up in the suburbs of Melbourne wasn't the most ideal viewing location.  Even so I have seen an aurora from there.  I don't know what age I got my first refractor. 9 or 10 maybe.  Not even sure what size it is - 2" perhaps.  I still remember the night when it was perfect viewing and I was able to discern cloud bands on Jupiter.  Still can't shut me up about that.

The viewing with the faithful refractor (still have it!) has been on and off over the years.  Other interests / obligations always getting in the way.  But I've turned my attention back to the skies.  I've been sitting out in the backyard, positioning myself to keep my eyes out of the surrounding neighbours lights, street lights, lights from the house etc etc, head tilted back, letting the eyes adjust and searching for the milk.  Being a scorp I've always had a fondness for that constellation, and of course Orion and Crux.  I've enjoyed satellite spotting, meteors, iridium flares... give me them all.

But now that my attention is back to the skies, I've gone off and forked out for a one tine fork - a Celestron Nexstar 6SE.  Set it up yesterday, used it for the first time last night - oh look! Cloud bands on Jupiter :D.

So now I'm browsing like a cow; reading, chewing on every little morsel of information, learning.  I'll probably be quiet in the posting, but that's because I'm going to be busy learning so so so so much.  I guess that's one of best things.  Its not just about looking up and seeing pretty lights.  There's so much to learn about those lights, other wonders, and also the equipment, way to do things, other characters of similar interests.  Well you all know.  You're here already.

With luck I can hone my skills somewhat before winter comes.  Yeah so what if its cold outside then.  But it means that its going to get dark a lot earlier so I can drag my 7 year old out before its bed time and try to infuse him with some star flame passion.

Good Night all.  (I guess in this place that's a blessing of sorts.)

Nite nite. :) AndyP

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi AndyP and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. This is a great place, chocked full of information and folks who are willing to impart their knowledge. Sounds like you are having a ball :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hey Andy,

Welcome, there is a wealth of information on SGL.  It is amazing really how much is at the fingertips these days, I used to scour the library shelves for anything to do with space missions and astro in the 70s and 80s.  Now I sit here with freshly brewed coffee waiting for these ever-present Canberra clouds to part for a few moments while learning from the experiences of people all over the world.

Enjoy your stay 

Matt

Hi AndyP from down under and welcome to SGL, from those meagre beginnings with the small scope and starry skies, your interest never stops, apart from obligatory breaks from time to time. Now you have your Nexstar 6SE, the yellow brick Astronomical road, extends ever onwards, enjoy the journey with your Son :)

Hello everyone. Thank you for your warm welcomes.

I'm already bewildered / overwhelmed by the amount of information here. I think its going to be a journey of a lifetime to get through it all whilst also yacking away with everybody.

The hardest thing is working out where to start!

Yes okay, the easy answer is trying not to trip over the dog whilst I'm walking her around the neighbourhood with my nose in the sky. And then to be in the backyard with the telescope set up, this time nose down with eye on the piece, hoping Princess Leah won't go knocking the scope when she brings me a ball to throw for her (yes, she even wants to play ball at night). But on here... where, where, where? I guess I'll just start at the top and work my way down. Have to start somewhere! :)

Patience, me, patience. It's only been a couple of days. I'm just a hungry wolf snuffling about to learn.

Again, thank you all for the welcome.

And for the young lady via the shop e-mail (that I bought the telescope from), THANK YOU for pointing me to here. xox

Reading Time!!! :D

AndyP

Another cow to the SGL herd. Welcome!

There's plenty of silage, and the barn's in good shape for when it's cloudy. Good grazing in the stickies.

And I hear the grass is *always* greener....hence the sheer amount of equipment that the herd goes through.

M42 is said to be greenish sometimes too. Well worth moseying on over sometime for a nibble.... :)

A ditty, while we're feeling ruminative:

"There was a cow from Huddersfield

Who would not yield...

The reason why she would not yield

She did not like her udders feeled....."

Archived