Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fringe killers

hi,

been a while since I've posted on here ! busy times and all that!

So what are my options for fringe killers for my trusty car boot travel scope st80! I've heard that Baarder do one for 50 quid any other options? and which is most effective, the CA is starting to make my eyes funny! many thanks for your suggestions.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to say none really do what people want.mainly since it is not possible. A short achro will produce CA. What the "fringe killers" do is block a bit of the spectrum out, so that bit is not present to create the CA at that wavelength. That however alters the colour of things. To my thinking not really an advantage.

My suggestion is keep the £50, and look for a used ED80, buy that then sell the ST to recoup some of the ED80 purchase cost.

Having owned ST80's and ED80's and used fringe killer filters I agree with ronin. An ED80 shows practically no CA when used visually. The ST80 is a very nice little "grab and go" wide field scope and can occasionally be used at higher powers but the best filter in the world won't get it near to colour free.

Hi, I think baader do three similar products, the contrast booster, fringe killer and the semi apo filter.. Other manufacturers have others but I think the Baader one are probably more readily available..

The semi apo is more natural in tone IMHO, the others give a slight hue..

I use a stacked semi apo and neodymium filter on my orion 80mm and the f11.. With the semi apo alone I find the image is somewhat flat, like it's lost its mojo, but together I find it a good image..

Hope this helps, just my personal preference, might not be the best or right thing to do... but hey Ho!

Ta

Fozzie

ok thanks guys but... as much as id like to buy an ed80! this is a little scope i keep in the boot and use when I'm somewhere  nice n dark like rural wales for example! i guess I'm just looking to improve the image a little for a little outlay? spending 400 on an ed80 is not really an option at the moment! but i do appreciate that a filter is not going to turn an st into an ed any other suggestions most welcome. 

I, too, have an ST80 - older one with the Skywatcher brand, but identical to the one Orion now offers. And I have all 3 of the aforementioned Baader filters. I find the Fringe-Killer is my favorite. Gives a touch of a yellow-hue to brighter objects, but it doesn't bother me.

Your mileage may vary,

Dave

My advice is that if using the scope somewhere dark then presumably you will take the chance to observe things tricky from home i.e. faint. CA does not matter greatly with faint stuff so you need no filter for it.

The objects where CA matters are so bright as to be easy from home where you may have a bigger option?

Agreed with all really. My grab&go is an ST120. Unless you are looking at bright objects then little ca. As it goes in the roofbox, boot or back seat and impervious to snow sand and dog slobber. I just would not treat an ED scope the same way. Again would I put a 100 quid 2" filter in it no, I accept the shortcomings of having a decent apperture cost effective scope that I don't mind taking everywhere.

hi,

been a while since I've posted on here ! busy times and all that!

So what are my options for fringe killers for my trusty car boot travel scope st80! I've heard that Baarder do one for 50 quid any other options? and which is most effective, the CA is starting to make my eyes funny! many thanks for your suggestions.

You loose the Blue/ Violet portion of the spectrum and they all have a colour cast of some sort or the other. I have seen a few of the members using the  ST 80 with an Ha filter for narrow band MonoChrome imaging and it sorts of work as the Ha filter will block out any Violet/Blue totally so you maybe better off saving your £50.00 and going for a decent Ha filter.

A.G

I have the fringe killer in my everbrite diagonal.

Works for me as a throw it in the boot scope.

(Mines the original orion version when it came out originally. Have to say the 2 eyepieces that came with it were rubbish. A couple if cheap plossls however vastly improved matters.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

yes have noticed that the slightly better eye pieces i have improve things a little! be good if i could try all the different filters mentioned and see which one makes the best if maybe small improvement! all the info is most informative n helpful and i that you all

I had a semi-apo which even in an f/8.3 I felt performed poorly given the cost of them new. I later got a fringe killer which in my eye's at least removes CA around bright objects but the trade off is the object then becomes an obvious yellow. I do use the FK filter on ocassion and doubt I would sell it but even so I much prefer the nutral colour on objects and put up with the purple glow aound the edge.

I'd go with astrobaby suggestion at least you can then if nothing else decide if yellow is your thing and if so push the boat out on a pricey filter.

Just used my ST80 on the full moon and the CA disappeared when I only removed the centre cap, shame about the cloud that rolled in and put an end to using the webcam

Using the dust cap with the central cap removed gives you approximately a 50mm f/8 scope which would show quite a lot less CA than the uncapped 80mm F/5. The problem is that you only get the resolution and light grasp of a 50mm scope.

Archived