NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

fringe killers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well found my yellow filter and it does reduce the CA   quite a bit ! obviously a bit of yellow cast instead but for bright objects this might well be a cheap and usable solution! so thanks astrobaby for that one! will try it again when theres an elusive clear night!!

I am a believer in removing aberrations.  A fringe killer in a non-apo refractor removes the aberrated red and blue light.  The Baader fringe killer does result in a slightly yellow cast, but I do not find it objectionable on planets and the cast is irrelevant for deep sky, faint, objects which in any case appear colourless to humans.  The Baader semi-apo filter filter removes some yellow to reduce the colour cast which some prefer.

I have a fringe killer mounted permanently in the diagonal for my 70mm.  I do not use one at all with the 120mm Equinox which shows very little chromatic aberration.

Archived