NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which E.S focal length first

rory

ok ,after some research and deliberation it seems the explore scientific range are highly regarded ,and read "near nagler performance" in some threads.

so im pretty much sold on getting these.

which focal length would be your first purchase (assuming you have no eyepieces )

also , has anyone any issues regarding viewing with wide angle eyepieces .

I previously owned a maxvision 24mm 68* albeit briefly . I disliked the flat top design and prefer angled cup designs.

Oh, and they would be initially used in a 250px f/4.7

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rory, my first purchase was the ES82 14mm as I found it on ebay, so a chance purchase but it got me hooked, now have most of the range, the 30mm is stunning.  When buying online, always check with the supplier that it really is in stock.

So do you think the 14mm is a good opening purchase ? That would be around x85 I think , workhorse magnification.

I would prefer second hand as that's the way I've done 99% of my astro shopping. But I must say I rarely see them for sale . Perhaps that's a good sign .

Hi Rory, my first purchase was the ES82 14mm as I found it on ebay, so a chance purchase but it got me hooked, now have most of the range, the 30mm is stunning.  When buying online, always check with the supplier that it really is in stock.

Robin,

I know I am not going to make myself popular with this comment but I am going to make it in any case. I had the 30mm UWA Meade, we know that the matching F/L's in this range are largely regarded to be the same glass design but may have different coating. I recently tested the 4.7mm UWA ExSc and do not believe this is as good as the Meade was but this is another argument and I was only working from grey matter, not the best thing in the world to do.

Back to the 30mm, I actually on balance prefer the Meade/ExSc (assuming they are the same) over the 31mm Nagler. The 30mm is not as bad for edge distortion as the Nagler, though in my fastest scope the Nagler is sparper at the edges, I can only imaging this is more of an issue sub F5, however as many say these are very good value, though not as good as the Televue range which lets face it, were copied from.

If I had scopes of F5 or so and upwards I could be very happy with a full case of ExSc 82 degree eyepieces at the end of the day .

Alan

So do you think the 14mm is a good opening purchase ? That would be around x85 I think , workhorse magnification.

I would prefer second hand as that's the way I've done 99% of my astro shopping. But I must say I rarely see them for sale . Perhaps that's a good sign .

Hi Rory, yes I do, my first purchase (the 14mm) was a pleasant surprise and a revelation.

Hi Rory, yes I do, my first purchase (the 14mm) was a pleasant surprise and a revelation.

Hello Robin,

Can you give more detailed info about this revelation? e.g. how it compares to a BST 12mm or 15mm?

Hello Robin,

Can you give more detailed info about this revelation? e.g. how it compares to a BST 12mm or 15mm?

Hi YKSE, this will surprise you, given my well-known support for the BST's, both the 12mm and the 15mm are amazing ep's and very easy to view through and use.  In contrast to this the 14mm ES82 takes more patience, you need your eye close to take in the whole view (the reported eye-relief is exagerated), however, for the trouble you get a most absorbing view, similar to what is used to describe TV ep's, and to be honest I was 'drawn-in' and amazed at the clarity and sharpness (mind you, in an f/9 frac to start with). 

This ep replaced my 13mm LVW which I also rate very highly - if you want something like the quality of view with good eye-relief, then the LVW is a great choice, only cost me £99 new from Opticon at the SW Astronomy Fair about 3 years ago, I bought this after deciding the 13mm Ethos was well out of my range.  I think the biggest problem for new buyers now is that there are some very good quality choices out there, esp. at this focal length.

Thanks a lot Robin, much appreciated :smiley:

I can't say that I'm suprised by your observations, I'd rather say that it confirms mine :smiley: I've had BST 8mm and 12mm, and compare them to MV 16mm, 20mm, 24mm and BCO 18mm(unbarlowed and barlowed).

A couple of reasons to the eye placement difference between BST and ES: BST's 13mm ER is more likely a typo, TS NED specified 16mm ER, which I find more correct(I wear glasses), while ES's 15.6mm ER is a very optimistic number, many have mentioned that it's tighter than that; the 82deg FOV of ES needs to rotate the head to take in the whole FOV has been witnessed too.

Tthe clarity and sharpness of ES over BST is well in line with my experience of MVs over the BSTs I had, and to my eye, 18mm BCO beats all of them in this category. :smiley:

I would love to compare my 30mm ES to the Nagler equivalent....that big 30mm ES 82 is an excellent eyepiece, and so is my 18mm ES 82 which I have compared to my 16mmT5 Nagler. With ES's sale on it is a good time to jump- my pick would be 20mm 100deg-$250.00 (unbelievable) 30mm 82 deg - $240.00 and the others nicely on sale too.

Personally I like widefields for 2mm exit pupil and on up (lower mag) and a different style EP for high power planetary/lunar.

It's even better than $250!!! It's $240!! I was tempted to buy two of them for my inevitable Binoviewer!! Brilliant stocking stuffers!! While pleased with OPT and this pricing.... where's my $350 21mm Ethos?!?!?!?! If you truly cared you'd make this happen [emoji57]

I would love to compare my 30mm ES to the Nagler equivalent....that big 30mm ES 82 is an excellent eyepiece, and so is my 18mm ES 82 which I have compared to my 16mmT5 Nagler. With ES's sale on it is a good time to jump- my pick would be 20mm 100deg-$250.00 (unbelievable) 30mm 82 deg - $240.00 and the others nicely on sale too.

Personally I like widefields for 2mm exit pupil and on up (lower mag) and a different style EP for high power planetary/lunar.

I want a 17E!!! What time of year to they occur? Actually that would pretty much complete my EP collection.

In the spring typically, if you can get on their mailing "heads up " list it helps, they don't last long, people stack up and wait for this. The 17E is a favorite eyepiece of mine.

Hi Steve,I may look at an EP of this Nikon series, how do they compare to the Ethos in regards to contrast and type of distortions present? Corrected for RD or AMD? They sure look good!

There is a discussion on the Nav HW V's Ethos topic here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/321773-nikon-nav-17mm-hw-eyepiece-compared-to-ethos-17-mm/

The Ethos is as much as I'm prepared to pay for an eyepiece (and those have to be used) so I'm not tempted by the Nikon NAV HW's. I did think about a Docter 12.5mm for a short while and enquired about it on the CN forum but was not overwhelmingly convinced by the responses.

I'll have to "make do" with my Ethoi :rolleyes2:

I've just realised that this is rather off topic from ES eyepieces - apologies to the original poster.

Archived