NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which E.S focal length first

rory

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a discussion on the Nav HW V's Ethos topic here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/321773-nikon-nav-17mm-hw-eyepiece-compared-to-ethos-17-mm/

The Ethos is as much as I'm prepared to pay for an eyepiece (and those have to be used) so I'm not tempted by the Nikon NAV HW's. I did think about a Docter 12.5mm for a short while and enquired about it on the CN forum but was not overwhelmingly convinced by the responses.

I'll have to "make do" with my Ethoi :rolleyes2:

I've just realised that this is rather off topic from ES eyepieces - apologies to the original poster.

Yes the discussion of BST,LVW and Nikon is off topic, but on topic the ES 82 and 100's are very good eyepieces, the 18mm compares favorably with other EP's of similar focal length. It gives fantastic contrast on objects like M42 and has a nice TFOV. Hard to go wrong with a widefield ES. Have fun with your choice Rory!

The only ES eyepiece I've owned / used was the ES 20mm 100. It was a very, very good eyepiece :smiley:

There was one on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £200 delivered earlier today which seems a pretty good deal.

Oh my goodness! Shocking case of the misplaced decimal point.  :eek:

Considering that the EiC-14 is included which effectively change the EP to 14mm, you get two 100deg EPs for the price, maybe not extremely shocking? :smiley:

No apologies needed guys , good reading .

I notice that from 18mm upward they are 2" format. Do you find it hassle swapping over adapters .

Hi Rory, I love 2" EP's and have 3, 1.25"-2" adapters that I will load up with the 1.25's. A worthwhile consideration may be the TV Equalizer to add some weight to the 1.25's for balance. There are other ways to balance though, magnetic knife racks etc. I use a 2" Baader Clicklock on my dob so the EP's/adapter fit right in there, no hassle at all.

I may have considered the Nikon if at the time I started out with Ethos I even knew they existed. I found out about them when I already had 4 of Ethos range and one of them was the 17mm. I am very happy with my range of the now and will soon add the 4.7mm, though I have to declare I was not totally head over heels when I started but they have grown on me. This is a man that said what the heck does anyone want an eyepiece that has an 82 degree FOV for, red faced and wrong again,

Naughty people this is a thread about ExSc eyepieces and I only just noticed, sorry.

Alan   

Hi Rory, I love 2" EP's and have 3, 1.25"-2" adapters that I will load up with the 1.25's. A worthwhile consideration may be the TV Equalizer to add some weight to the 1.25's for balance. There are other ways to balance though, magnetic knife racks etc. I use a 2" Baader Clicklock on my dob so the EP's/adapter fit right in there, no hassle at all.

with a baader clicklock added to the path , does it make it difficult to get some eyepieces into focus .

I found this issue in a previous set up with a twist lock adapter .

Rory,

My understanding is the SW 10" dob has longer focuser than the OO 10" Gerry has, with a Baader clicklock added, your might not have enough inwards focus-travel for some eyepieces.

Looking at Televue's Paracorr setting here, If the ES 30mm 82deg and ES 20mm 100 deg are similar to 31mm Nagler and 21mm Ethos, these two are very possible don't have enough inwards focus-travel, while ES 14mm 100deg (clone to Ethos 13mm?) should be fine with your dob.

with a baader clicklock added to the path , does it make it difficult to get some eyepieces into focus .

I found this issue in a previous set up with a twist lock adapter .

Not sure about the SW 10" for focus point, I replaced the stock OOUK extension adapter with the Clicklock and all went well, except the 10E. For minor adjustment to the focus position I either put the primary mirror closer or farther away to the sec using the primary mirror cell springs. This should be do able though, the Clicklock is very handy switching EP's and there are "in" travel adapters out there or ones with a longer installed height. What I did is play around so my focus point for most EP's results in minimal drawtube intrusion into the light path.

The 24mm 82 degree looks very attractive for a widefield if the the 30mm weight is too high. The only serious negative I found on it was a number of complaints about the 2" threads for filters. It seemed a little inconsistent, as in not everyone complained, so think it could have been a poor batch. They all look good so just depends whether you want a high, medium, or low power, and maybe what type of object you're into at the mo.

The 24mm 82 degree looks very attractive for a widefield if the the 30mm weight is too high. The only serious negative I found on it was a number of complaints about the 2" threads for filters. It seemed a little inconsistent, as in not everyone complained, so think it could have been a poor batch. They all look good so just depends whether you want a high, medium, or low power, and maybe what type of object you're into at the mo.

I've not used this 10" dob in anger as yet , just a quick test to see if the collimation was good.

But going on my previous observing tendencies , I'd say 90% dso and 10% planets. With globs and tight open clusters being favourites.

Archived