Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heq5 help needed!

Thalestris24

Going from the pic you supplied I would use the same method as illustrated but in addition i would use an large adustable wrench slipped onto the pliers at the point where they swivel. 

This just may give you the leverage that is needed.

( I am the MASTER of the "Mickey Mouse use what you have" repairs.)

Remember though...righty-tighty and lefty/loosey.

Regards

Bob

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going from the pic you supplied I would use the same method as illustrated but in addition i would use an large adustable wrench slipped onto the pliers at the point where they swivel. 

This just may give you the leverage that is needed.

( I am the MASTER of the "Mickey Mouse use what you have" repairs.)

Remember though...righty-tighty and lefty/loosey.

Regards

Bob

Hi

I've tried that - no joy :(

Thanks anyway

Louise

Just to be clear:

attachicon.gifRound Nut.JPG

Just a thought. You could try putting a large adjustable spanner at 90 deg to your pliers gripping the plier blades with the adjustable. Position the adjustable as close to the nut as possible for stability. Hold the handle ends of the pliers and twist the spanner. This should give you a lot more leverage. I have successfully used this technique several times in the past.

One other thought, it's not a left handed thread is it?

Hi

I've assumed it a normal thread - Astrobaby's guide doesn't mention any different.  So I've only tried anticlockwise force.

As above, I've tried with a wrench but thanks anyway.

Louise

Hi, did the strip down on my EQ5, used a piece of wood with a couple of nails knocked through to match the holes. It does sound overly difficult in your case to move this nut, have you checked that SYNTA have not put a small locking grub screw through the nut, just a thought.

good luck with it.

Hi, did the strip down on my EQ5, used a piece of wood with a couple of nails knocked through to match the holes. It does sound overly difficult in your case to move this nut, have you checked that SYNTA have not put a small locking grub screw through the nut, just a thought.

good luck with it.

Hi

Well there are small holes in the bottoms of the two bigger holes that are reminiscent of allen key holes but none of my allen keys can lock into them. Maybe someone could confirm? Again, Astrobaby's guide doesn't mention them... She doesn't show a close-up of her round nut without pliers in them. I'd be ever so annoyed to find out I was trying to undo the undoable...

Thanks

Louise

Hi all

Tut! I just found this thread from June http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/219709-help-heq5-stripdown-or-not/

richrich_one had the same trouble as I'm having and made a special tool that engaged the holes. He goes on to say that he thought afterwards that he could have managed without undoing that round nut. I'll have a second look tomorrow afternoon. I'll post my findings.

Thanks all

Louise

Hiya

I'm stripping it down because I've had a long standing problem with the DEC axis. Guiding has been erratic above about 30 deg alt. I've not been able to fix it or blame it on anything else so I figured maybe I had some gunge or damage in the in the worm drive or DEC gear. The only way to be sure was to strip it down and have a look. I've previously minimized the backlash in the DEC motor gear. At least that was easy to access! If I can't undo the round nut I suppose I'll just have to put it back together and leave it as it is.

Thanks for the thought re looking at it - very kind. Shame you are in Edinburgh!

I let the nut soak for a bit but still can't shift it. I'll get some wd40 tomorrow and try it - failing that, I give up!

Thanks

Louise

Hmmm... I've had mine apart three times. The dec axis suffered in my case from an overdose of black Chinese molasses masquerading as grease. The nut you describe and the equivalent on the RA axis are on tight. I use a wooden handled screwdriver and a mallet so that I can give it a sharp crack using one of the 'holes' in an anticlockwise direction and that gets it moving. Even if you burr the holes they don't perform a useful function.

Hmmm... I've had mine apart three times. The dec axis suffered in my case from an overdose of black Chinese molasses masquerading as grease. The nut you describe and the equivalent on the RA axis are on tight. I use a wooden handled screwdriver and a mallet so that I can give it a sharp crack using one of the 'holes' in an anticlockwise direction and that gets it moving. Even if you burr the holes they don't perform a useful function.

Hiya

According to the thread I posted about above, it's not absolutely necessary to remove the round nut? I don't think it's going to come off. I looked at Astrobaby's guide to stripping down the neq6 which appears to have the same nut. In that case she didn't mention removing it...

My heq5 has never performed consistently well. There could be more than one reason for that but thought I'd take advantage of the bad weather and give it a service. In fact, I thought I could get most of it done today.... Serves me right for being optimistic!

Louise

The EQ3 has a similar nut but is locked onto the shaft by 3 grub screws around its edge that have to be accessed through a single hole in the mount so by rotating the dec axis you can eventually loosen all 3 of them. The two main ones shown in the picture are used for adjustment of the bearing  to remove free play and is not a locking device.

I have no idea if the same mechanism is common to the HEQ5.

Alan

The EQ3 has a similar nut but is locked onto the shaft by 3 grub screws around its edge that have to be accessed through a single hole in the mount so by rotating the dec axis you can eventually loosen all 3 of them. The two main ones shown in the picture are used for adjustment of the bearing  to remove free play and is not a locking device.

I have no idea if the same mechanism is common to the HEQ5.

Alan

Hi Alan

No it's not the same. I either need a special tool else not remove it. I'll look again tomorrow.

Louise

Hiya

According to the thread I posted about above, it's not absolutely necessary to remove the round nut? I don't think it's going to come off. I looked at Astrobaby's guide to stripping down the neq6 which appears to have the same nut. In that case she didn't mention removing it...

My heq5 has never performed consistently well. There could be more than one reason for that but thought I'd take advantage of the bad weather and give it a service. In fact, I thought I could get most of it done today.... Serves me right for being optimistic!

Louise

Sure, assuming you can do all the adjustment from the nut on the opposing end of the shaft then yes. I advise that you clean and regrease the main dec bush and worm drive thoroughly. It made a difference to mine.

You would be better off buying a can of "Plus Gas", this is purpose made release agent, WD40 is a water repellant although it is applied for many other uses. You could try an adjustable spanner or a regular plier across the snipe nose pliers to give more torque.  :smiley:

If you want to get a small aerosol of WD40 try Poundland, they often have small cans of the stuff in stock, get one with the little plastic tube. Saves having to get a large can that take 20 years to use up.

Plus Gas is the better option but costs more and a bit harder to track down.

Not sure Astro-baby fully completed the write up of the EQ6 strip down.

When taking something off the EQ6 she broke a finger, posted a picture of it at a very strange angle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apparently she said something like "Oh bother!" at the time. :eek: :eek:

You would be better off buying a can of "Plus Gas", this is purpose made release agent, WD40 is a water repellant although it is applied for many other uses. You could try an adjustable spanner or a regular plier across the snipe nose pliers to give more torque.  :smiley:

I remember PlusGas from the 1970's lol

Didn't know it was still available!

Hi  Louise,have you got a local machine shop? if you could find one i`m sure it would take them only a short while to loosen your stubborn nut and they may even do it for free :grin:

Regards

Mike

Hi

Doubtful... In any case I don't have any means of easily transporting it. I'm going to try and dismantle without taking the round nut out.

Thanks

Louise

If you want to get a small aerosol of WD40 try Poundland, they often have small cans of the stuff in stock, get one with the little plastic tube. Saves having to get a large can that take 20 years to use up.

Plus Gas is the better option but costs more and a bit harder to track down.

Not sure Astro-baby fully completed the write up of the EQ6 strip down.

When taking something off the EQ6 she broke a finger, posted a picture of it at a very strange angle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apparently she said something like "Oh bother!" at the time. :eek: :eek:

Hi

I was going more by the thread from June about Heq5 stripping down where the OP said he didn't think it was necessary to remove it.

It appears Astrobaby no longer does astro stuff which is a shame.

Thanks

Louise

Hi all

Well thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I tried again today but still couldn't move it! However, I've managed to do the stripdown and clean all the gears and the worm without having to remove that nut. I wish I hadn't got so fixated on it, wasted all the time and bothered you! Still at least I know how to manage the DEC axis now.

On the plus side I couldn't see any damage or obvious problems with any of the gears :) The only thing I found was that two of the grub screws which hold the counterweight collar were floating around inside the collar. I can't see that being the cause of my problems. I just have to reassemble, adjust and test. I suppose I'll have to do it all again with the RA axis and gears. First, though, I'll see how the mount behaves post DEC reassembly - when I can properly test it.

Louise

Archived