Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Mapstar Scope build

mapstar

Well done Damian, that is a truly fabulous looking scope. You should be very proud of yourself and the end user should be very grateful for all the time and effort you have put into this.

Well done once again. Are you going to give up the day job and do this full time?????

Ian

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:icon_salut:  Beautiful. Really nice looking dob. Really like the lightweight look of this build. The thinner than usual truss tubes make it look so much sleeker. I bet you are proud of this Damian? You should be.

Cheers Alan and Faulksy.

Yes I am proud of it, its taken a lot out of me though (I'm burn't out to be honest!) I did create a bit of controversy when I told people the size of the truss tubes (lots of sucking through teeth) but knew it would work due to the machining.

I know you guys have been patient but think it was worth a good write up.

Mercilessly I have also been doing the other two and a 22" mirror grind but it's nice to complete one and see where i'm going 

There are a few tweaks to do and as I said the speed at which the secondary was attached caused an astigmatism problem which a very knowledgeable bloke at the star party cured but needs follow up work nothing major though. The Az bearing needs a little less friction nearing zenith but this too we will sort, it is eventually going to be driven too with space left for encoders

All in all I am pleased though for the first one

Damian

Very nice mate great build and a thing of beauty...let's have one of you in shot

Cheers Calv 

I put my ugly mug in the last post. One thing I will say is it's BIG!!! the first time I actually linked it all together with the truss poles I thought I'd created a monster! (and got the measurements wrong :eek: )

Cheers Alan and Faulksy.

Yes I am proud of it, its taken a lot out of me though (I'm burn't out to be honest!) I did create a bit of controversy when I told people the size of the truss tubes (lots of sucking through teeth) but knew it would work due to the machining.

I know you guys have been patient but think it was worth a good write up.

Mercilessly I have also been doing the other two and a 22" mirror grind but it's nice to complete one and see where i'm going 

There are a few tweaks to do and as I said the speed at which the secondary was attached caused an astigmatism problem which a very knowledgeable bloke at the star party cured but needs follow up work nothing major though. The Az bearing needs a little less friction nearing zenith but this too we will sort, it is eventually going to be driven too with space left for encoders

All in all I am pleased though for the first one

Damian

very nice mate, congrats again to a terrific build and a brilliant build thread

Well done Damian, that is a truly fabulous looking scope. You should be very proud of yourself and the end user should be very grateful for all the time and effort you have put into this.

Well done once again. Are you going to give up the day job and do this full time?????

Ian

Thanks Ian

I dont think so its really punishing and the day (shift worst luck) job is so much easier (pays a lot more too) 

Forgot to say the end user is very pleased (10+ galaxies in one field of view was astonishing!)

Damian

Fair play mapstar, that's a thing of beauty. I bet your well proud. That uta looks nice and slim, will he have to use a light guard. Well done mate :-) :-)

sent from my fone using fingers

It's got a shroud on and we'll be fitting a light weight guard opposite the focuser. I did actually use that very phrase when I first set it all up and then it was my god what a monster!  :grin:

Wow stunning Damian you have made a cracking job of that anybody would be chuffed to bits to own that.

Cheers Paul glad you like it. The guy I built it for is very happy. I do wish mine was finished

Also forgot to say under the photo of me with it I am 6ft tall.

Damian

Brilliant work Damian, outstanding. The quality of this work tells me that you will make a good job of the mirror, looking froward to your first light report.

John

Thanks John and yes I'm looking forward to first light too still having trouble getting good contact on the lap and polishing the middle though?

I'll mail you about it

Damian

I couldn't pretend to know even where to start on making something like that. It's like an Edwardian's idea of a space gun (excuse my flowery prose). Functional and elegant. Utterly gorgeous.

Thanks for taking the time out and commenting Dave. It is a little different and obviously a lot of work has gone into it.

Damian

Archived