Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi From Darkest Norfolk

Billy Bluelight

Located about nine miles south of Norwich and four from Wymondham.   I live in the middle of nowhere, have no light pollution at all but do have many trees around me so can see at best about 65% of the sky.  It all comes around eventually of course and I've learned to be patient.

Been interested in astronomy all my life and owned a number of small, inexpensive, rickety old telescopes, know little, managed to find and see even less, but have just purchased my first decent 'scope.

Now own a beautiful to look at and admire Celestron Advanced VX 8 Edge HD and as an extra the Opticstar XL 7.5mm - 22.5mm Zoom eyepiece.  Both these purchased from the excellent Opticstar Ltd at Sale in Manchester.  They are lovely and shiny and i spend many happy hours gazing at them in my garage.

I say "beautiful to look at and admire" as with the exception of two nights, that's all I've managed to do since buying 14th July (now 23rd August). I told friends it would be at least six weeks of dense cloud cover before the sky cleared - five weeks so far, so only a week to go and I can start to use it ............ :evil:

Also joined the Breckland Astronomical Society and a more friendly bunch it would be difficult to find

Looking forward to learning from your lively community as time goes on and would welcome contact from anyone nearby.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Billy, a very warm welcome to the Lounge from another Norfolk.

Do let us know how you get on with the VX 8 Edge -  sounds lovely.

Hi Simon - thanks.  

Just managed a lovely session and saw some beautiful objects - like the Hercules Cluster never seen before.  

I have owned little of a similar quality in the past to compare the VX 8 Edge with, but to me it does seem  fantastic after just a couple of goes.  I'm finding it easy to set up (I align to five or six stars initially, not just two as suggested, and that seems to work well) it stays accurate enough for observing, although not for imaging I suspect, but that's a way down the road for me yet, and what I see is tack sharp.

Was just as impressed with the Opticstar zoom - first use tonight and it does everything claimed.  All in all, not a bad session.

Archived