Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Haas double star book!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll keep you more than busy !

Nick.

Hope so :-). Might have a quick session tonight but haven't got long. I was going to try Pi Aquilae in my 4" to see if it's doable.

Also need to tweak the Genesis a bit more.

Was chuffed to get Izar in the Tak 60mm the other day.

Stu

I split pi aquillae the other night at 150x with my 80mm vixen

Nice one Shane, you'll be loving refractors before you know it :-).

I just about managed it in both the 106 and the Genesis last night, but the seeing wasn't up to much. It would be quite doable with a stable atmosphere. Must be right on the limit with an 80 so that's really good going :-)

Nice one Shane, you'll be loving refractors before you know it :-).

I just about managed it in both the 106 and the Genesis last night, but the seeing wasn't up to much. It would be quite doable with a stable atmosphere. Must be right on the limit with an 80 so that's really good going :-)

Yes, up to the limit with my ED80 for example, touching disks with perhaps the slightest hint of a black line, although interestingly, one where use of a blue filter does improve the separation noticeably by shrinking the Airy disk a bit.

Chris

Yes, up to the limit with my ED80 for example, touching disks with perhaps the slightest hint of a black line, although interestingly, one where use of a blue filter does improve the separation noticeably by shrinking the Airy disk a bit.

Chris

That's pretty much what I was getting last night with both 4" scopes. Odd moments with a hint of black space. It was directly over the house though so not ideal!

I will check again next time out to ensure I was seeing it and not remembering it!

What sort of split did you get Shane, touching disks or clear black?

The Vixen should be very capable on doubles and will cut through poorer seeing. The Dawes limit for 80mm is 1.45", but you can probably better that under good conditions.

My copy arrived today from the USA. It cost me $22.99 plus $20 shipping. On the Customs declaration form on the outside of the cardboard package was sticker that stated that the value of the goods inside the package was $22.99, and that it was exempt from other taxes. I didn't have to pay any vat or import tax (maybe I was just lucky) and the package was delivered by our normal postie.

Haven't had a proper chance to look at it yet but looks to be crammed with double star goodies by constellation and with useful observing notes as written by Ms Haas.

We will of course now have 3 weeks of end to end cloud... :rolleyes:

Dave

It seems as if the book is now more freely available.. a search on Amazon UK showing it as available for around £14-£15 plus £2.80 delivery..

First look at the book says it's a cracker, with plenty of scope (sorry) for loads of doubles which can be split by 60mm scopes in some cases, up to much bigger ones. It also gives a useful table showing the separation limits by aperture (a la Dawes limit) but also taking into account varying magnitude differences between components - something I've found in the field really makes a difference. For example, Delta Cygni can be difficult in a 3-4", not so much the separation but the big differnce in the brightness of the primary vs the companion.

A really good resource if you love doubles observing :-)

Dave

Plenty exciting targets there ! At last some of us will be singing from the same hymn sheet ! I tried some Burnham doubles in Aquila last night. None had the spectacle of The Book .

Looking to forward to all those blow by blow reports,

Nick.

Had my first real night out with Sissy last night. What fun! I haven't done any serious doubles observing for ages but I found some beauties especially in Cassiopeia - some actually triples. I think I'm hooked - or rehooked. I was looking at my old copy of Nortons that I had when I was a teenager and there I have ticked off dozens of doubles seen through my zoom refractor on its wooden tripod. They were probably the best targets with what must have been a pretty ropey scope. 

BTW the Haas book (1st edition)  is now available cheap as chips on Amazon - grab it while you can 

My copy turned up a few days ago, bought via Amazon from a UK supplier who, judging from the labels on the packaging, got it from the listed US supplier. A round about route but cheaper for me that way, so I'm not complaining :-))

Archived