Hello Everyone

Astronigel

Well Ive only just joined here so thought I would say hello.

Im Nigel from the UK

Ive been a lover of all things astronomical since I were about 6 yrs old when I were amazed when I were told about the life of a star.

Picked up a cheap 60 mm refractor when young, very very poor quality.. got myself a new 50mm "astronomical" scope a year or two later, (50mm astronomical- lol ) but i still loved to use it...

Built my own 6" reflector at around age 16, ground/figured a 6" mirror.

Had quite a gap without using any scope, Im returning to my hobby again and now have a lovely 12" Fork mounted Reflector.

Its great to find an active site/forum like this one :)

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum. Your latest scope sounds like it is going to afford you some great views and hope that you have the dark skies to match - that's certainly a jump from 6" to 12" but I'm sure you will take it in your stride!  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi James thanks for the welcome.

the 12" is the type of scope i would dream about in days past for sure.. I realise im really lucky to have it, its a beutiful instrument.. almost the age of me also !!!

Im over the moon to have such a thing at long last :)

Cloud gun ?? where can I buy that ?? :)

I do feel still like bowing down and saying "im not worhty , im not worhty"  with regards the 12" :) But its been a dream for many years to have such.. dreams do come true !!!

Hi Nigel and welcome to SGL. To grind and figure your own 6" mirror is a real accomplishment, something not often done these days. Your new 12" should. however, be revealing a whole new world fore you, enjoy :)

I echo the welcome and the also praise for grinding out your own mirror. One of those things on my list which looks to remain on it for a long time, so nice work for doing it.

Its worth the p[ractise of doing so .. just pick some small size one 6" max and go for it you will like the expereince.. upi dont havbe to make it to full scope but I found it a great pleasure to do.. very much a "bucket list" for astronmers that one is I feel.. 

Archived