Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello!

epaddict

I'm new to his forum but I've been lurking for sometime, actually I've been shopping around for a forum with level headed folks with good info and I think this is the one. I live in the great Pacific Northwest and I've been a novice for years, but recently I've been pouring a little more into my hobby. I have 10" dob and two Celestron star finders (a 5" and a 6") but I primarily use the dob. I realize now for the first time that I'm an eyepiece addict...my wife is pulling her hair out when she see's my amazon account but...!

Anyway, I have a question to anyone that has a dob: I recently purchased an ES 30mm 82 and I'm getting a shadow right in the center of it. I love ES ep's and I've never had this problems with others I have. I'm wondering if this is my scope or could this be defective. I've played around with a tube extender and no matter what I do I get this shadow. I have a 20mm UWA Meade 5000 that's just fine, the 30 mm that came with the scope doesn't do this either. Have I reached the limit of this scope maybe? It actually appears as though I'm seeing the collimation circle in my primary mirror, if that's the case should I send this back and look at a 24mm or is there a fix...sorry for writing a book. Gary

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL - Sadly can't help you on the visual front, I can count on one hand the number of times I've looked through my scopes!!! Good to have you on board though, hope you enjoy it :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

What you are seeing is the secondary. You get this with low powered eyepieces in a short focal length Newt. I used to have a 10" f4.7 and could never use my 42mm eyepiece because of this. I settled for 22mm as my lowest power.

Hi Epaddict and welcome to SGL, shame about the 30mm 82 ES ep, their range of optics are very nice indeed. Just my idea, but If you have access to a 2" x2 Barlow check to see if the shadow disappears with this in the system. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived