New to stargazing

Arun Suraj

Hello Everyone, 

I'm based off the other side of the planet, from india, i recently bought a nexstar 6se scope, and i tried to view the moon but was disappointed all i cud see is a white light and nothing much, i thought i cud see the details of moon, may be i dont know how to operate the scope, i used a 25 mm eyepiece that came with the scope. Any advises or thoughts :)))

And so glad to join this community,

Thanks,

Arun 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nexstar 6e has a wide focusing range so you may need to turn the focus wheel many times before you reach focus. Also rotate the focuser slowly because you may through the point of focus without noticing it.

I had the 6SE and it gave me some very good lunar views.

The above advice is very good.

Welcome to SGL

Hi all, 

Thank you all for the warm welcome, i'm based off of the southern tip of India, and i did try to focus it very slowly on the moon, but with no luck, and moreover i tried focusing at a distant object during day time, when i remove the eye piece and look through the star diagonal, the object is focused and when i insert my eyepiece it blows up and all I could see on the moon was light, i did try focusing it slowly but with no luck. I thought this was easy at least viewing the moon, hope i would try this out tonight, and could someone advise me how far of an object should i look for during day time. Is that like 1 km away objects or near ones??

Thanks,

Arun 

Greetings Arun,

Hope you have overcome your focusing problem. If you have not may I suggest :

1. When looking at the moon ( with a 25mm eye piece) you should see the whole moon whether it is full or not. This might make focusing a bit of a challenge because you see " all light" . if you use a 12 mm eyepiece you will be able to adjust the view such that half the moon appears in the view so that you see a definite separation between light and dark. This will make focusing much easier as you will be able to tell what direction to focus.

2. Looking at phone and microwave towers. I do this regularly; every time I setup my gear in the evening before an observation/ imaging session. The tower that I look at is at a range of 13.2km. I actually drove to the location and took the co-ordinates with a GPS radio ( create a way point) and had the machine compute the range from my piers' location. This is a "nice" test as I can see the elements of the yagi antenna and the cable conduits running up the tower and, of course, the microwave dish antennae.

A good test is to take your 'scope to a location where you can see a long and straight section of a major road that has all its lights in a straight line in the field of view. You focus the 'scope on a light in the middle of the field of view then count the number of lights thar are actually in focus?

Good luck

Jeremy

Archived