NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally getting round to upgrading Eyepeices

Hi All

just a quick post to ask you very knowledgable SGL's members for ideas on eyepeices, im intending to start getting some half decent ones that will probably be keepers, i've been using revelation plossls & stuff that come with the scopes, so never had a great field of view when gazing, i've budgeted about 100 quid a pop give or take for each of them, mostly do DSO viewing, some planetry & a fair bit of solar, so any recommendations for a good widefield eyepeices that will accomodate most of my interests would be appreciated greatly.

regards

john

Strangely £100 is a bit of a barren area with eyepieces.

At £49 you have the BST's with a 60 degree field,

At £64 (?) you have the X-Cels with a 60 degree field.

Plossl's of assorted makes are 50-52 degrees.

At £109 you have the Vixen SLV, £109, apparently very nice but they have a 50 degree field.

Really the next "common" one are the ES 82's, they seem to be £140 but that is for the "older" nitrogen ones. Not sure who sells the "newer" argon filled ones, and so not sure of the price. Also check the ES European or UK site.

ES Europen site say ES 82's Nitrogen at €139, which is close to £115.

Have to amend the last bit, on the ES site some are 119 others 135,139.

Easier, read it yourself: http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/

The TV plossls are excellent giving premium (ie: somewhat more than half decent) performance. They a just not wide field eyepieces. 

If you want wide field eyepieces then more of your £100 per eyepiece will be used up.

Your current plossl eyepieces are not at all bad though so getting a real "wow" for your outlay may be a bit challenging.  

Maxvision 24mm, 16mm and an ES 1.25" Focal Extender/Bresser SA Barlow (TV Powermate clone) would bet my vote. £48, £64 & £95 in that order.

You would end up with 24, 16, 12 & 8mm, constant eye relief (the FE/SA don't increase eye relief like a barlow) and a very sharp 68deg AFOV that will be a notable increase over the Plossls. The Revelation Plossls are decent little EPs that could run alongside the MVs until further funds appear.

Russell

+1 for Baader zoom!

It works great as single EP solution for solar viewing in my PST, a very convenient EP for family members to have an occational viewing, and also a single EP solution when doing alignment. Optically it works noticeable better than BSTs (I've had 8mm and 12mm BSTs).

The only drawback will be the narrow field of view in 24mm setting. If you feel for for wider field of view with 1.25" EP, the maxvision 24mm is the best bang for bucket, IMHO.

If you intend to use the eyepeices in your travel scope as well you might need to sconsider eyepeice weight too.

The 16mm maxvision is a lovely eyepeice and is fine in my heritage 130p but the 24mm I think is a bit heavier.

'Really the next "common" one are the ES 82's, they seem to be £140 but that is for the "older" nitrogen ones. Not sure who sells the "newer" argon filled ones, and so not sure of the price. Also check the ES European or UK site.

ES Europen site say ES 82's Nitrogen at €139, which is close to £115.'

Hi Ronin, most of the ES82's are Argon(AR) filled these days, even if it says Nitrogen(N2), when you purchase you get whatever they have in stock, and it really doesn't matter as it does not affect the performance.

I'd be more inclined to think of total budget rather than £100 a pop.

With wide fields you don't need as many eyepieces.

Eg my 20mm Nagler replaces all need for any regular 50degree AFOV plossls between 20mm and 32mm. It has the same field as the 32mm and the same mag as the 20.

My 12mm Nagler takes care of any eyepiece between 12mm and 20mm in the same way.

Therefore I have only need of two eyepieces to cover 12mm through to 32mm to replace plossls.

Just a thought ;)

had a quick look on ABS lots of loverly TV eyepeices unfortunately other than the plossls i cant afford that much out in one go.

I have the TV Plossl and the Maxvision, both are excellent eyepieces, you will not be disappointed whichever you go for.

I'd be more inclined to think of total budget rather than £100 a pop.

With wide fields you don't need as many eyepieces.

Eg my 20mm Nagler replaces all need for any regular 50degree AFOV plossls between 20mm and 32mm. It has the same field as the 32mm and the same mag as the 20.

My 12mm Nagler takes care of any eyepiece between 12mm and 20mm in the same way.

Therefore I have only need of two eyepieces to cover 12mm through to 32mm to replace plossls.

Just a thought ;)

oooo :D sounds like an option i never thought of, must admit i really only ever seem to use about 4 eyepeices stargazing, which seems to be the 10, 15, 25 & 32 (25 & 32 for finding & wide as it gets field) (10 & 15 for a bit of mag) so could maybe cut down on a few with wot you've said.

Archived