Hello

Jimsta

Hi, my name is James i have always had an interest in space and planets so i decided it was time to learn astronomy. I hope to go on a naked eye observation tonight using a planisphere and a red bicycle light to get some experience first hand. Looking forward to it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. This is a great place packed full of useful information. You could do a lot worse than downloading a copy of Stellarium for your PC, a really good planetarium programme.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi James. Welcome to SGL.

How did your night out under the stars go?

eid

Well i waited untill 11:30pm and the clouds were blocking the view unfortunatly but i will try again tonight and see what comes of it.

Hi James and welcome. I am pretty new to astronomy as well and SGL is by far the best resource I have found on the subject.

Buy some 10x50 binoculars. You will see a surprising amount with those. Amazon are doing the Olympus DPS1 for £50ish and they are excellent for the money.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_249 using Tapatalk

Hi James and welcome. I am pretty new to astronomy as well and SGL is by far the best resource I have found on the subject.

Buy some 10x50 binoculars. You will see a surprising amount with those. Amazon are doing the Olympus DPS1 for £50ish and they are excellent for the money.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_249 using Tapatalk

I am looking for a pair to start off with, this could be a good place to look thanks

Hi James and welcome to SGL, viewing the night sky with binoculars or just using your eyes for any length of time can be improved with a reclining camping chair if you have one. I went to the lengths of purchasing a collapsible model from Messrs Blacks during one of their end of season sales for £15, it was money well spent, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Welcome aboard James :) I'm new here myself but have already upped my knowledge quotient loads in my first week. Great place! Hope you have fun here & good luck.

ps Stellarium & the binoculars are great recs -  I love zooming in on Satrurn in Stellarium and watch the image traverse my screen just like the real thing. Stellarium is also available as a mobile app. Binoculars are just fab - you see so much more than the dear ol naked eye, takes your breath away at first!

Enjoy the Lounge. Cocktails are at 7 on the spacedeck...(well, at my house they are!)

Archived