Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M83 Southern Pinwheel Galaxy

RAC

First time having a go a binning the colour data. I'm not the best at the software stuff and i wanted to still have a full res photo so i stacked the 2 x binned colour data with a 2 x drizzle Then just put the Lum over the top in PS.

17 x 5min Lum
10 x 3min @Bin 2x2 RGB
Atik 383L mono camera
Astronomik L-RGB 2" filters
Stacked with DSS, processed in PixIsight and Photoshop.
Carbon Serrurier truss Royce 10" f4 Newtonian.
Televue paracorr type 2
Celestron CGE mount.

Full size here

14293134801_4c50a59491_b.jpg

M83 Southern Pinwheel Galaxy by Raymond Collecutt, on Flickr

I love it, very pleasing to the eye with nice colours. I have used the 2X2 binning with 2X drizzle with my Atik 314L a couple of times but there is not enough pixels on a 314L sensor to make the best of this method. Your's seem to have worked fine here.

Regards,

A.G

Really nice image you captured there RAC, colours are spot on & very sharp detail, luv it.

I have not got a clue what you are talking about apart from we have drizzle here at the moment, lovely shot and well done.

Alan

Hi Alan,

RAC captured his RGB colour data by setting his ccd at 2x2 binning which means the ccd becomes 'twice' as sensitive, you could say a 3 minute 2x2 binned sub is the same as a normal (1x1 binned) 6 minute sub, i dare say it's not exactly twice as much but you get the idea.

With my Atik314L+ a normal sized capture is 1391 x 1039, a binned 2x2 image is 695 x 519, half of the normal size, you can't mix the binned data with the unbinned in DSS to stack, you stack each set seperately then process in PS or other.

You can however use 2x Drizzle in DSS on the 2x2 binned subs which will give you a .tif file of the unbinned size of 1391 x 1039, drizzling will double the subs initial size.

From what i have read you should combine all the binned & unbinned subs in their own sets in DSS then, for arguments sake, in Photoshop use Resize Image on the binned sub but on the image resolution only (not the picture size), standard in PS for my binned images is 72 in the image resolution so i change this to 144, this then makes the 695 x 519 into 1390 x 1038 (i then have to change the 1390 to 1391 manually for it to be exact), the resized image can then be combined or layered with the unbinned images.

It's a lot quicker collecting 2x2 binned RGB data than unbinned & it is only the colour you are after, you shouldn't really bin the Lum channel as this is your detail for the finished image. I have binned some of the narrowband before but if / when i can i stick to unbinned.

I am not an expert by any means & i am still on the rather steep learning curve but i think the above is correct.

I meant to say as well it takes 1 minute to Record a new Action in PS to do the resizing for you, then use the Batch process in the File > Automate tab to select all your images & run the Action on them.

Archived