Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Am I being too picky?

jonathan

I did likewise yesterday, but got a surprise hour in last night. All 15 weather apps on my phone said that it was cloudy! So had zero expectations and had a happy hour bouncing around Virgo, then a couple of cheeky clusters before the cloud rolled in to save me from staying out all night and ruining myself for work today :)

Do not despair! It might turn out OK.

Paul

All 15 weather apps on my phone said that it was cloudy!

15 ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

By the time you have read the last one the weather will have changed and you would have to start all over again. :grin: :grin:

I must admit that I stopped going out on every clear night years ago. With the advent of interweb and weather sites I try and pick the better nights although if there's something like a supernova I will jump out if there is only a half hour gap if necessary. This usually means I get out once or twice a month on average.    

Jonathan,

I would not be put off by thin high cloud if you are into planetary views, I find this helps a great deal of the time. Normally I get more clear nights than most but of late it has been dire, I tend to not bother around full Moon, not that I have even seen the Moon for a while.

Alan

It's been a nice warm day, but as I walk into the house from work I look up and see lots of wispy high altitude clouds, and I just think 'Poor seeing'.

Without wishing to sound picky myself..... ;-), thin high cloud can often be associated with good seeing. It gives poor transparency so not good for faint objects, galaxies etc but as Alan says, you can often get very nice planetary views through thin high cloud.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I was a bit hasty then, although by 10.30pm the cloud had rolled across half of the sky (glass half empty or half full?) so I don't feel too bad about my decision.

Like what's been said for planets a slight haze often indicates very good seeing so if planets are your thing, get out there.

If however you're like me (deep sky lover) stay indoors it'll only be a frustrating night.

I get out as much as possible and have been pleasantly surprised that a bad start to a night often turns into a good night.

But then again it may be that the can of beer in my hand helps too.

Lee

Archived