Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ4 mounts... Good for grab and go?

I wondered if anyone has experience of using an AZ4 mount... And if so whether they are recommended.

My SW ST 120 came on an AZ3 mount and while I like it in some ways (light and useful with the slow-mo controls) it can also be a bit of a pain... And it has started moving downwards of its own accord so the object shifts quickly out of view; it wobbles on the alt axis.

So I was wondering about an inexpensive and still easily portable alternative like the AZ4. Or maybe a second-hand something else.

The AZ4 doesn't have fine controls though does it?

the steel legged is very stable but I imagine the ali one is a lot lighter (and presumably a bit less stable).

the AZ4 is like a dob on a tripod basically. really good for my 6" f5 newt.

personally, I may eventually swap the tripod for a pier type stand but retain the head.

I love the AZ4, it has more or less made my HEQ5 redundant! it handles all my scopes from the 60mm swift right up to 100mm f10 TAL and skymax 150 mak, it helps to take a minute to get good balance with the scope, then your set up and enjoying the night sky

Thanks again... Seems like the AZ4 is the one to go for. I did see the AZ3 conversion link before. Looks good but DIY is not my strong point. Also, as I mentioned, the AZ3 is loose in the Alt plane and difficult to keep in the right place. I've tried tightening the main bolt but it is already immovably tight and won't go any further.

I used mine last night for some planetary and moon observing, mounted the Mak 127 on it. It had the alloy legs on which are OK but it can be a bit unstable initially when you sight something up , this is increased by extending legs as well. It helps to fit the metal tray underneath. I have HEQ5 and sometimes use the steel legs from that on the AZ4 and it is quite an improvement,so if I was buying one now I would probably opt for the steel legs, not a huge difference in weight and just as easy to cart around.

Another positive vote here for the AZ-4. Mine is the steel legged version and usually carries my F/6.5 Vixen 4" ED refractor but I have also used my ED120 F/7.5 on it for short sessions. The mount will handle a 6" F/5 newtonian and a 6" schmidt-cassegrain pretty well too.

I've owned a couple of AZ-3's and a Vixen Porta but the AZ-4 is a step up again in my opinion.

I really like my AZ4, but I wish I had bought the aluminium legged version as the steel one is a bit bulky and heavy to carry around. The steel one is nice and stable though, so it depends how portable you need it to be.

It arrived yesterday... Pity I didn't realise I would also need a dovetail adapter for my ST 120!

No instruction manual annoyingly but I guess putting it together wasn't too complex.

It is certainly big and heavy ... I thought it would be the same size as my SW SupaTrak mount. Nope, it is MUCH sturdier, though that is good of course.

It will be less easy to move as a grab n go unit with the ST 120 but a lot more stable than my AZ3. Looking forward to using it soon!

Archived