Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar halo - Eye in the sky

Here's a photo I took on 24th of April showing a very strong 22° solar halo. Down to the left and right there is also a trace of the rare 46° halo. On top of the 22° you can also see an upper tangent arc.

The image is a mosaic of 6 photos that was shot using a Nikon D800E and a Nikon 14-24/f2,8.

gs_20140424_sunhalo_4523_pan.jpg

Great picture, I love too see this sort of photo

I remember seeing the full set of solar halos (including all the anti arcs) in Devon once. Needless to say I had no camera on me at the time, but we realised it was a very rare sight at the time, and something we will probably never see again at these latitudes.

Here is someone else's picture of the half set of halos (to get the full set the sun needs to be more overhead)

Solar_haloes_Huntsville_AL_small.gif

Thanks for your comments.

lovely photos (and something I'm quite clueless about). I'm just curious how you protect your eyes/camera when taking shots like this?

I never look directly into the Sun when shooting.

Perhaps this thread should be in the Imaging/Solar forum?

Thanks for your comments.

I never look directly into the Sun when shooting.

Perhaps this thread should be in the Imaging/Solar forum?

Umm, no, I think this definately classifies as a "special event" :). I hope to see it myself one day

Archived