Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My weekend sob story/self indulgent moan

MartinB

No image here I'm afraid although there are a couple in the pipeline, just feeling a little fed up and needing to off load.

Like everyone else here I was pretty excited about the forecast last Friday. Planned to try out Steve's (FLO) FLT110 with my new QHY8. Nothing ambitious but hopefully a nice M42. Took an hour out at lunchtime to set up and make sure everything was working ok. Well it wasn't. Nothing coming through from the QHY8 using Maxim although it was working with the QHY8 focussing software. Not a big problem, sure Bern will sort it out if I can't and it's great to have an SXV H9 to fall back on! So change of plan M81 with the FLT.

I was going out on Friday evening but managed to get everything up and running before hand. Everything worked first time and the guiding was looking perfect. Got back 3 hours later and still tracking on the guidestar but nothing like as accurately as it should, enough to spoil some subs. Couldn't work it out, packed away at 3.00am a little deflated.

Next night was much clearer, no high cloud. Had visitors but got set up before hand. Similar story with the guiding. Finally realised that I'd set the slight balance offset in RA the wrong way round 2 nights running (!) but worse still the guide scope was wobbly in the rings owing to a missing collimation screw. Everything much better then and left it running overnight capturing M82

Sunday got some flats and decided to go for a widefield M81 and 82. SXVH9 wouldn't connect. Had visitors again so had to leave it - another fantastic clear night as well. Finally tracked the problem down to things not liking the USB hub I'm using.

Monday night, got the wide field - unguided cos of worries over the stability of the guidescope with the missing screw. Should have been very simple. Filterwheel started malfunctioning. Would work for a few filter changes then gave up, needing a quick blast of the hairdryer. Eventually sorted the problem by using a dew strap. Early night cos pretty knackered.

Great plans for tonight - first outing for LX200R. Plan was for close up narrow band image of the dusty inner bits of the Rosette. Really looking forward to doing this. The weather was so clear and dry I was pretty confident the seeing would be good enough for what I wanted to do. Once again set up at lunchtime and sorted out ways of working round the usb hub problem and the fact that my serial to USB adaptors weren't working through the hub - thats a problem when the mount, adaptive optics and filter wheel all use a serial connection!!

Took an eternity to get the AO off axis guider focusing properly but all part of the usual hassle of imaging. Then slewed to Betelgeuse for a quick alignment. The focus had slipped cos I hadn't used the mirror lock (never needed it with the NS8. Then saw that the out of focus stars were banana shaped. Spent ages trying to collimate using he camera but I just couldn't get rid of those bananas. Eventually disconnected the 8 bits of wire running to the camera and other paraphernalia and collimated visually. Then realised that because the adaptive optics hadn't yet centred itself the telescope only appeared not to be collimated. So, a lot of wasted time.

Slewed once more to Betelgeuse. Started to line up with the telrad, dec not responding. Switch mount on and off, nothing catching, all balanced. No loose connections. Then the RA packs in too. The power lights are on and the polar scope is illuminated so the power is getting through. No, my new Takahashi EM200, that I sold a boat to buy, has died.

Fantastic transparency and seeing, a perfect night for long focal length imaging. But worse still, my EM200 is up the creak.

So in one week end - a non functional CCD camera, a spluttering filter wheel, and now the mount's gone.

So there'll be no images from me for a while. The Taks have to be shipped back to Japan for electrical repairs.

It really has got me wondering what I'm pratting about at with this imaging lark - spending a fortune on over complicated and tempremental gear, neglecting family. The complexity of the kit I was working with tonight was just silly, one great mass of wiring. I've put so much effort in and on over 50% of our rare clear nights I run into some major hassle. Perhaps I should go back to a non goto super polaris and an ED80, or may be just stick with a dob.

Sorry for the moan but I'm a little peed off.

oH hECK martin ,thats is one huge problem for you , and i worry about small things going wrong , but i guess the more we get into this lark ,and the more tech spec we get , we will run into these problems, thats why i have decided to stop now , thats it just keep what i have ,and make do , but i do hope you wont pack it up Martin , as you have true skills , have a break ,and then come back when those items are sorted ,

Rog

Sorry to hear this Martin.... :D

If it had been me i'd have probably sledge hammered the lot :shock:

Have a break like I did a few weeks ago and come back refreshed..It worked for me..I feel a little peeved myself, crystal sky for the last 3 nights but i'm in work..Even Annette was peeved for me tonight.

I hope your joining us at Kelling in April..I have some Sherry cask whiskey saved and a special hooch for peeved astronomers..I think you'll approve :D

Martin,

I'm sorry you've had such a torrid time, but in a way better that everything should go wrong at once rather than serially over a number of weeks. As Rog says, have a break and come back refreshed. After all, astronomy is a hobby to be enjoyed for life, not a race to be won.

Mike

Wow Martin, just who did you upset :shock:

That's is one major disaster story, and I can only sympathise with you.

Its a pity that you live so far away, otherwise you could have come around and played with my toys, while you are waiting to get things sorted.

Complex setups are fine, when they are part of a permanent arrangement. I have many cables running from the 'warm-room' out to the scopes and cameras, but of course they stay where they are.

If only we could all group together, and persuade your wife to let you cut that old tree down, your troubles would be over. I do actually have a chain saw you know.

Hope you get it all sorted soon, in the mean time, take a break and spend some more time with the family.

Dave

Well, that's a real T****R Martin. As much as we are all very sympathetic, It won't make you feel any better. What a disaster.

How can it have the audacity to fail, It must have cost an arm and two legs. It seems rather odd that both drives have failed, but since I don't know the system at all, I can't offer any suggestions. Anyway, you must know it pretty well to form an accurate diagnosis.

Must be under warranty, and they should organize a quick return to base by air freight, and back to you the same way when fixed.

Or is that a pipe dream.?

Sorry mate, just trying to take your mind off it. :D

Ron.

That sounds awful Martin :shock:

I can relate to a lot of this Martin as I've had some fundamental problems over the last few months too. But this last week has reminded me why I do this - and encouragement from you and everyone else has kept me going! I didn't go out last night so I'm not sure what damage I've done by not beinbg careful about my cables :shock: I could end up with an Obs and a non-working scope :shock: :shock: but, like you, it'll be fixable.

Want to borrow the vixen mount back? more than happy to post it to you as a stop gap! just let me know

Helen

Sounds as though you have had a really upsetting time. As Dave said some form of permanent obs would help with some of the problems and make imaging a more relaxing affair. I had a problem with my auto guiding system a while ago , seemed to take ages to sort out , turned out to be a bent pin in one of the sockets. I one stage felt like chucking the mount over the fence :D

I am sure it will all sort itself out - at least the mount is still under warranty , so no worries there.

John

Martin.

Very sorry to hear about all your problems and I have been in the same boat for nearly 3 Month's.

First my EQ6 Pro went for repair and was then replaced. This took two months. The new mount was installed with existing wiring and would work for a while and then loose comms with the PC via EQmod. What was it ? I don't know, but last night I had 100 minutes of problem free operation.I hope I have now fixed it.

I have had problems with the QHY8 and ATIK16HR and various powered USB hubs. They are weird things and as I have to plug in and take down every night, I try and plug in to the same port. I even wondered whether the usb was affecting my dedicated COM1 port ?

The real shame is your mount having to be sent to Japan for a fix. I hope it does not take too long.

All I can say is spend the time it is away testing the QHY8 and all the other kit, so when the mount comes back, you are fully prepared.

This technical side of the this hobby can make you get very cheesed of when multiple things go wrong, but when it all comes together again and thos images start coming in, they are easily forgot. It just takes time.

John

Thanks for the support everyone. It's a bit of a B to be sure but just have to keep things in perspective. This imaging thing has been taking over my life a bit too much so this will be a good chance to step back and have a break.

Thanks very much for the offer of the loan of the Super Polaris. That little mount might be a bit tatty but I loved it. I'll be ok though, I've got the Dob. If I change my mind I'll let you know!!

Sorry to hear your woes Martin, nothing more frustrating than missing out on these rare clear nights due to technical problems. I agree with Rog's comments the more Hi-Tek the kit gets the more chance of there being issues. I intentionally keep my kit simple for this reason and also for the ease of set up and portability, I'm still 1 hour from the tripod hitting the patio to taking my first sub - With clear nights at a premium I'm not prepared to waste any more time.

I hope you get it all sorted Martin, best of luck

Mark

Martin,

Your troubles makes my powertank running down last night five minutes before the finish of an hour on M42 seem like small beer. I quite agree that the more tech we throw at this imaging lark the more chance of something going wrong :D

I find a good single malt puts things into perspective (probably not into focus though) :D

cheers

RB

Whatever you do dont give up Martin you have been an inspiration to us all. When you have bad times like this just try to think of the good times that you have had in the past. Lets hope you can sort it all out as soon as possible but in the mean time take a good rest from it to get your energy back up.

Best Wishes

Kevin

Very sorry to hear your tale of untold woe Martin.

It makes the usual glitches we experience seem pretty trivial by comparison...

I do hope the mount etc will get restored to order before too long and you are back producing great images again.

It does give us pause for thought about the complexity of our rigs especially stuff using usb.

all the very best

Mark

A horror story for sure but a partial happy ending regarding the EM200. Over this last clear spell, I have also had some real disappointment culminating in my Dome's PC dying on me last night - it is almost a relief that I haven't got to go out there until it is repaired as my recent imaging disasters were putting me off the hobby somewhat. The high tech nature of the hobby is something I love and loathe at the same time - when it is all working it is wonderful but when just one tiny unit goes wrong the whole system falls apart and you can spend hours fault finding and the only time you can fault find in our hobby is when the sky is clear which rubs salt in the wound!

I have been debating getting a larger sensor as I am finding my current CCD a little limiting for the larger DSO' that I want to image but I have put a hold on this for a while because I know that a larger sensor will open a new can of squiggly things!

Larger sensor = wider field of view = good

Wider field of view = greater chance of vignetting and other optical faults showing up = bad

For the most part, I have a working system so I am going to persevere with what I have for now and get the most out of it. I hope you resolve the outstanding issues quickly (the worst one seems to have been sorted already) so that you are willing and ready when the next clear spell arrives - Good Luck!

Archived