Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Leatherhead, Surrey

RichieP

Hello

My name is Richard and I have just discovered this wonderful forum.

A little about myself: I first became interested as a 11 year old boy, my suburban bedroom window looked south and I would gaze at the stars when I should have been asleep. Orion, Sirious and the Plaides really did it for me.

I saved up for a year to buy a Prinz Astral 400 60mm refractor which was a great starter scope, but after a few years we moved into the city and the night sky disappeared for me. 25 years later, after living in cities all my life, I moved out to Leatherhead in Surrey. Although there is some light pollution, it's not too bad; I can see the sky again and my boyhood interest was rekindled - and I am allowed to stay up later as well!

I still had the rather battered Prinz Astral, but no eyepieces so I purchased a .965" to 1.25" adapter and a couple of plossls and out I went. Unfortunately due to the rather limited focus travel of the Prinz, I could focus no further away then the back fence with the adapter in place. Despite some stunning close up views of the neighbours' cat, I resolved the situation by chopping a couple of inches from the Prinz's tube and I was away.

I quickly moved onto a Helios Evostar 102 on an EQ3-2 and soon added a Skywatcher StarTravel 102 on a AZ3 mount as a grab and go scope. Its amazing how much cheaper decent entry level scopes are than in the seventies!

I have since moved on to a Meade AR5 (with a moonlight focusser) on a Losmandy GM8 and I have got a Williams Optics Megrez 90 and EZTouch on order.

After 3 years I am really enjoying it again and I am learning lots, although I often still feel like a complete beginner!

Regards

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have got my Megrez 90 and EZTouch now, and I have unexpectely aquired a WO ZS66 Petzval semi apo, I'll post reviews when I have had enough time to get to know them.

regards

Richard

Hello Richard I hope you have some great nights out with your new gear Welcome to StarGazers Lounge forums any questions you have at all just ask away we have loads of really helpful folk on here who are all only too willing to lend their expertise so don't be a stranger come join the fun of the brotherhood

Clear skies

Martyn

Archived