Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way

Hi, I would really like to see the milky way with the naked eye and wondered if anyone can reccommend a good viewing point/time.

I live in Bath so somewhere close ish would be good. I have looked at a dark sky map and the Isle of White looks like a good place?

I would also like to make it into a weekend break so any accommodation advice would be good too.

Thanks in advance :-)

I seem to recall seeing it mostly on Summer nights. Could be wrong.

Even though I live on the edge of town and have street lights all round, if the sky is clear enough it is easy with the naked eye.

It doesn't jump out at you, but I can see the dust lanes, especially with peripheral vision.

A clear sky is paramount though. The stars need to be jumping out at you from a velvet background.

It can be seen all year round, but the stretch through Cygnus is particularly bright and attractive, and is well placed during summer and autumn. You just need to get as far as possible from light pollution. At my site in Northumberland it's bright enough to be seen through thin cloud, and shows considerable detail in a clear sky. But a lot of the time there's thick cloud, so you never know when you're going to be able to see it. If you do plan a trip, make sure there will be no moon, and just cross your fingers for the weather.

For a sure-fire view, book a summer holiday at a very quiet resort in a place with better weather.

Centre Parks at Longleat is just down the road from you, West of Warminster.  There is also the main animal park, but doubt you would get access at night,  the Lions might get you! It's just  a large area of woodland, so not really a long drive if you just wanted to try the local roads in a wooded area somewhere. If you cant see the Town/City  lights,  they cant see you, so almost dark skies above. Just the weather to contend with.

Hi, I would really like to see the milky way with the naked eye and wondered if anyone can reccommend a good viewing point/time.

I live in Bath so somewhere close ish would be good. I have looked at a dark sky map and the Isle of White looks like a good place?

I would also like to make it into a weekend break so any accommodation advice would be good too.

Thanks in advance :-)

To be honest you'd probably see it if you just went up into the Cotswolds. Failing that you've got Salisbury Plain nearby which is big and empty.

The Milky Way is a funny one for me. Now I live in London I miss seeing it, but where I grew up in the New Forest it really wasn't a big deal seeing it. Any moonless, clear, dark night it would be there - so if you want to go further afield you'd do worse than a trip down the Wiltshire cart tracks to the Forest!

One note of caution - now is the single worst time of the year to try and see it because it kind of skirts the horizon. Wait until August or September and you get the spectacle of it arching overhead!

DD

I go camping in Dorset every year in August and it is normally spectacular then. As has been said, it arcs overhead at that time and there are lovely dark rifts where it runs through Cygnus. Lovely to see, and amazingly bright when the sky is dark enough.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cranborne chase is our nearest designated darksky sight hear in the south,

Although I can clearly see the Milky Way from the New Forest here in Dorset when there is no moon up often :grin: ,  

If you download for free Stellarium you can see where the milky way will be in the night sky all year round then  :smiley: .

Late summer, western isles, Milky Way from horizon to horizon. Splits into two legs below Cygnus and comes to a very black gap above it. Perseus glows and it is hard to make out the constellations ,as your eyes are drawn away from this most tortuous milky band that's home, hurrah !

Nick.

Depending where you are going in Asia you may have a decent view of the Sagittarius region of the MW. IMO, the best region of all but not so impressive from the UK on account of its measly altitude. Scorpio is also glorious from more southerly latitudes.

Depending where you are going in Asia you may have a decent view of the Sagittarius region of the MW. IMO, the best region of all but not so impressive from the UK on account of its measly altitude. Scorpio is also glorious from more southerly latitudes.

Hi Tiki, I will be visiting Kenting National Park in Taiwan then on to Bohol in the Philippines, hopefully I will get to see something :laugh:

Looking at a map there is a rectangle between the M4, A303, A346 and A350 that looks low in light, simply not many places in the area. Potterne and Market Lavington. Even East of Calne on the road to Marlborough should give a fair view.

Hi Jaynor, the Limpley Stoke valley would be a good area to explore for a dark site, or up the road towards B-o-Avon I should think.  Failing that I am sure somebody at Beckington Astronomical Society would be able to help.  Also, are you a member of the Bath Astronomers Facebook page, they are made up of a number of Beckington members here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/348901398493574/

To be honest you'd probably see it if you just went up into the Cotswolds. Failing that you've got Salisbury Plain nearby which is big and empty.

The Milky Way is a funny one for me. Now I live in London I miss seeing it, but where I grew up in the New Forest it really wasn't a big deal seeing it. Any moonless, clear, dark night it would be there - so if you want to go further afield you'd do worse than a trip down the Wiltshire cart tracks to the Forest!

One note of caution - now is the single worst time of the year to try and see it because it kind of skirts the horizon. Wait until August or September and you get the spectacle of it arching overhead!

DD

Hi DD and Jayner, unfortunately Salisbury Plain is not an open field (!), it is a quite a way to travel from Bath plus you need a license and permission from the MoD to go anywhere on Salisbury Plain to do stargazing, I have done it a few times and it is brilliant.  The best way to do it is with the Salisbury Plain Observing Group, website here: http://www.spogastro.co.uk/

Hi Jaynor, the Limpley Stoke valley would be a good area to explore for a dark site, or up the road towards B-o-Avon I should think.  Failing that I am sure somebody at Beckington Astronomical Society would be able to help.  Also, are you a member of the Bath Astronomers Facebook page, they are made up of a number of Beckington members here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/348901398493574/

Thanks Robin, I know Limpley Stoke / BoA area so I will check it out. Also I have just joined the Bath Astronomers group on Facebook so thanks very much for the advice

Archived