NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars....missed it

darthvader

Been looking at the moon for a couple of hours or so, came in for a cuppa whilst waiting for mars to appear from behind the giant lime trees, pooped out again got mars in view, close to making out some different coloration...... and then it pees it down :-S

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to look at all , been waiting for. Year since I got my scope I am desperate to see mars.

It was my understanding the 8th was the best morning ?

Will it still be worth while the rest of the week ?

Cheers

Absolutely worth it, very little difference between the 8th and a couple of days either side.

Well worth looking for a good while beyond that too.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to look at all , been waiting for. Year since I got my scope I am desperate to see mars.

It was my understanding the 8th was the best morning ?

Will it still be worth while the rest of the week ?

Cheers

Like said above you should get some good views even after the opposition. I viewed Jupiter the week before and after opposition in January and there wasn't a lot of noticeable difference.

I'm supposed to be pulling an all nighter (almost) but I couldn't resist setting up the Mak 127 for a quick look.  I couldn't see the pole cap but I did see those two dark 'blobs' .  Not a bad night to get my best views of Mars to date. - first proper view of Mars I'd say.  I just wish I could have spent a bit longer at the EP.

Wobbly here also but some detail showing on Mars. Surprised that the pole cap is not showing so far. This is a simulation for now.

attachicon.giftmp90752796134087.jpg

Thats not far off the view I'm getting here. Excellent viewing conditions and powers between 300x and 400x delivering really nice detail. Smallish N polar cap quite clear with adjacent darker patch on the Mare Boreum. The Mare Acidalium is a dark curving mass in the N hemisphere with the lighter, almost circular plain of Chryse framed further to the S by the Aurorae Sinus and what I think is the Margaritifer Sinus.

Very good viewing  :smiley:

.. still not working here. But came across this website http://www.calsky.com that simulates what the view of Mars should be through different scopes.  The 5" view is about spot on what I saw  http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi/Planets/5/1?obs=8673023239980

Yes I like the calsky site, my sim above was from that site but using a 12" scope  :smiley: Seeing has improved a bit here but hoping it will improve further, I have at least now spotted the cap, its tiny, smaller than when I viewed it a month or so ago. I am struggling with finding the best mag at the moment as 300x is a bit much but I don't have a 250x ep for this scope  :rolleyes:  :smiley:

Managed to see it at 10.40pm, it appeared too bright to make out much detail but I did nothing darker patches .

Do I need a filter of some type ? A red or glare filter ?

What eyepieces do you have, if you can get around 200x in your 8" it should not be too bright.  :smiley:

I wasn't using a filter but excellent quality eyepieces and quite a lot of power with my 12" dob. The initial view of Mars is quite bright and somewhat featureless but, as ever, the more you look, the more you see and your eye adjusts to the brightness allowing the subtle shades to become more apparent. 

Archived