Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on some handy extras for dob

Ok been using my SW 200p dob for the first time today and already have a few issues I'd like to resolve.

I was looking at Jupiter which was pretty high in the sky and found I Pretty much had to kneel on the floor to look through the finderscope! (I'm 6ft2 )

looking on the forums here it sounds like a telrad finder would alleviate this problem but its not clear if it has a right angle viewer?

The eyepiece is also a little low down so I reckon I need one of those Ironing chairs mentioned on the forums - I guess they adjust up and down and spin round? Anyone recommend a good one or something similar?

The telrad is a reflex sight and so very easy and effective to use. You could perhaps consider a riser base to go with it for added comfort. Adjustable  - ironing type chairs or a drum throne stool are popular for observing with dobsonians. Perhaps a compact camping table would be useful to keep your gear accessible.

You may also benefit by getting a RACI (Right Angled Correct Image) finder, saves having to bend way down. Just google them or do a search on here - loads of people use them for the same reasons you mentioned.

Ian

The Telrad is used by looking along its length, just like the standard finder, so it won't alleviate the issue of having to get down low. It is still very much worth while however. There is no magnification of what you see, it projects red circles onto your view which makes it easier to position the telescope in the right area. Combined with a right angled correct image finder, it makes the scope much more user friendly.

You could use a water butt stand to raise the whole scope up 12 inches or so.

The wixey and setting circle is the next mod on my list and will be adding a water butt stand to my growing amount of astro kit. Currently using skeye pro on my phone as a push to system and its far from perfect but it has nonetheless helped me track down several previously elusive dso's but the wixey/circle system is undoubtedly more reliable.

The lazy susan mod is very common, helps to overcome the "sticktion" which can become very frustrating when yr trying to follow objects at high magnification. Have done it to my 250px but the clouds have been spoiling my fun so not had a chance to try it out properly but feels so much smoother.

Seems part of the fun of owning a dob is modding it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

/-

In short...

you have sooo much still to do, and once you finish one thing (i.e. Telrad) then

you think...hmmm...maybe I should flock the scope...and after that's done you think..

stiffer collimation springs?

cheshire?

but then you need a self centering adapter...

maybe a new bearing?

or...setting circles, with inclinometer..

leveling feet..good idea..

red lights...

Dew shields

aperture rings

how about new eyepieces!

sigh...

astronomy is a journey,

darthvader.........Hi,        I had a Telrad........took a few Months to find a reason to get one though. Unfortunately, I cannot get the circles to focus without wearing prescription glasses. This was annoying as I don't wear glasses for the telescope.

I sold the Telrad to a fellow member, and it has since received a substantial redesign, which could allow it to be re-positioned on the near side of the original focuser, or possibly in place of the original focuser.

There are risers available, but you still have to twist your neck if the Telrad is positioned the far side of the original focuser ?

You still have to be close and on axis  to the Telrad to see the image, which  looks like its projected onto the sky. Its tidy for locating, with cross reference from  charts or Stellarium.

Your telescope can be mounted onto a water Butt stand, as already mentioned. This will raise the telescope a decent height for you. Make sure its the top of the water butt, that is measured( SW  Base 52cm?) You need about 53cm to accommodate the SW which is if I recall, 52cm? base. You still may have to drill a hole or two to also accommodate the three rubber feet on the SW.

I would first measure you focuser height then add the height of a water butt to see if it nears 6`+. Also I found that when using the original focuser, keeping both eyes open, aids quicker focusing .

Thanks for the helpful info ppl

I reckon I will raise it up to start with ive got some hefty wooden blocks I can use which should give me an idea of how high I need it and also get an adjustable stool/chair of some sort - is it better to get a stool with a back rest do you think?

And wait..... Omg.... Just checked the weather forecast for here... Clear skies from 8 till 11 !!!

Mind you when is the forecast ever accurate!

A back rest is unimportant when leaning onto a telescope, but great when just sitting back with the binoculars. I'm still using my leather dining chair. Just has the perfect posture, back support,  and head rest.

* JUST REMEMBER, NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE SEAT IN THE DARK - YOU WILL AT SOME STAGE MOVE OR LIFT THAT SEAT AND CRASH, EP OR BINOCULARS ON THE FLOOR. LUCKILY NO DAMAGE DONE ?*

So, the RACI arrived yesterday from FLO (Skywatcher 9x50), used it last night - makes a massive difference to comfort, now I don't have to be a contortionist to look through the finderscope !

Question is now... what do I do with the old finderscope ?? sell it ? does anyone buy them ? I suppose it makes a handy little telescope to pop in your pocket on a walk, definitely lighter than my 15x70 bins !

Managed to find M36, M37 and M38 quite easily last night and a good session on Jupiter again and managed to split Polaris into two.

Also got the Dob raised up on some wooden blocks now which also makes a big difference, just need to adjust the height slightly so I know what height water butt stand (or similar) I will need.

Looks like the Telrad finder is out of stock at FLO  :o(  anyone recommend another retailer for this ?

I've ordered a Celestron X-Cel 2 x Barlow from FLO too...

Just need to get an adjustable stool now ....

who said this hobby was expensive !

A rigel quikfinder would be an alternative, the main difference is that it has two rings, a 0.5 and 2 degrees, whereas the telrad has a third 4 degree ring. They both have their pros and cons. Suffice it to say I have no regrets buying the rigel with its smaller/lighter footprint.  Here is a review that compares them.  In any case both work well as do red dot finders, though I do like the rings, they all get the job done.  I use a red dot finder on my smaller scope and found no problems using it. 

For a rigel verus telrad review see here

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/finders.pdf

For a more general overview and ratings of other finders including the rigel and telrad see here

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/finders.pdf

Good luck :smiley: ‎

I'm not sure if you need a Telrad...

I ordered one too when I got my scope...

I must say, I'm not impressed at all

Sure you can find stars in the thing and it lines up, but so does a

RACI finderscope and it has magnification.

(I never even used the degree rings on the Telrad)

The Telrad blocks the view on either side of the viewfinder window and

it's a pain to mount and it's a pain to look through.

I'm ordering a RACI...together with setting circles they form a powerful

combination...

Lol it's a new design in 2" to 1.25" adapter. It fixes into your 2" adapter,the way it's designed it's supposed to keep all things fitted into it ( 1.25" eyepieces, Cheshire etc) completely central. I can change eyepieces in a flash as its just a quick turn too unlock and lock,with the single brass screw you can see in my picture. Its also threaded for 2" filters,so there no need to keep changing 1.25" filters with everytime you change eyepieces.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an Anatares self centering adapter,...foolishly thinking I would

do away with centering problems..

The thing is...even when using a self centering adapter -in conjunction

with a cheshire- the image shifts...so you are never sure which was the

right way ...

I now use little 'notches'...to ensure I insert my cheshire the same way every

time...but even then...

The compression mechanism is such that repeatability is void....

I too am drawn towards the HG parallizer...paralizer..para....whatever...

It seems -according to reviews- do the job...for the dob..

lets hope...

Archived